Two

Sidney walked up onto the stage, greeted by the other District Four victors.

All of them shared a look with each other which was a sign of respect for whomever had to go back in. It was as if they were saying goodbye.

Sidney looked at the people on the stage and saw a familiar face who was at every Reaping. Atala walked out onto the center stage, smiling widely at the crowd in front of her.

Atala was usually happy for the Hunger Games Reaping, But today she looked solemn. Her face was painted with blue glitter, her hair matching so you weren't sure where her skin ended and her hair began. Her eyes had a golden hue to them and her dress was a very pale white, which was strange for her usual colorful attire.

She tapped on the microphone a couple of times with her gloved fingers, making sure her voice could be heard. This was a sign for everyone to quiet down.

"Welcome everyone," Atala pretended to be happy. "Welcome to the District Four Reaping of the 75th Hunger Games. May the odds be ever in your favor."

Everyone held their breath as Atala walked over to the female reaping bowl. The amount of slips of papers was underwhelming, only three.

Atala looked over at Sidney as she stopped next to the bowl. Atala's eyes spoke to Sidney as if saying she hoped not to draw her name.

Atala walked back to her microphone and very slowly unfolded the paper in her grasp. Time slowed for a moment. The paper was unfolded and her mouth formed a name. And the name was not Sidney's.

"Annie Cresta!"

Annie's hand flew to her mouth with a scream. "I volunteer as Tribute." Sidney made sure her voice sounded strong, though those who knew her would've been able to detect the fear and pain in it, including Annie who looked up at her. She grabbed her hand tightly and reassuringly as she hugged Annie. "It's okay, Annie. You're gonna be okay, I promise."

Pulling back, Sidney gave Annie a genuine yet sad smile and the girl returned the gesture with a grateful one, still sobbing quietly as she stood up and was embraced by Mags.

"Wonderful," Atala cleared her throat, pushing back tears. "Our female Tribute from District Four, Sidney Gage."

She walked to the center of the platform, a neutral facial expression not matching the war of emotions commencing in her eyes.

"And now the men." Atala walked over to the bowl, picking the only name in the bowl with the same speed as before. "Finnick Odair."

He stepped up to the platform again, offering his Capitol smile to the cameras and crowd, "Here we are. The Tributes from District Four, Sidney Gage and Finnick Odair." Finnick moved over to Sidney, the two bringing their right hands together and pulling one another into a tight, one-armed hug, pulling apart after a few seconds. "Let's have a round of applause for this year's tributes."

Nobody clapped. Not one person.

The Peacekeeper's gloved hand grasped Sidney's arm once more and dragged her from the stage. "We can't get one minute?" Sidney asked as they marched both her and Finnick past the Justice Building and toward the train where another group of Peacekeepers were waiting for them.

"New procedure!" One Peacekeeper growled in her ear. "Straight to the train."

Katniss and Peeta sat at the table while Haymitch stood in front of a large screen. The two victors were waiting to see the clips of the other district's Reapings, to determine allies and threats. However, it came as no surprise to them when Haymitch gravely informed them that everything they previously knew about the games didn't matter anymore - this was an entirely different playing field full of experienced killers with an advantage. They were the only two who didn't know the other victors personally.

"District One. Cashmere and Gloss, brother and sister, won back-to-back games. They're Capitol favorites - lots of sponsors. Career pack, too, so expect them to be lethal." Haymitch gestured to the beautiful, smiling siblings on screen.

Katniss slowly nodded, wanting to take in as much as she could about her opponents.

"The other half of the career pack - District Two. Meet Brutus and Enobaria." He switched the screen.

Katniss leaned in closer. "What's wrong with her teeth?" Enobaria was bared her teeth on the screen in front of her.

"She had them shaped into fangs so she could rip people's throats out." Haymitch explained dryly.

"Well, she's committed. I'll give her that." Peeta spoke up.

Haymitch changed the screen again. "District Three: Wiress and Beetee. They're not fighters, but they are brilliant. And weird - real tech maniacs. Beetee won his games by electrocuting six people at once."

"District Six: The morphlings, masters of camouflage. They basically won their games by hiding out until everyone was dead. Self-medicating ever since," Haymitch chuckled, "Not that I blame them; they're not a threat, though."

Katniss and Peeta exchanged glances with each other at that, but waited for Haymitch to continue, now District Four.

"Finnick Odair, right?" Katniss inquired, recognized the blonde male once the picture switched again.

Haymitch nodded. "He won his games at fourteen - Capitol's sweetheart. And extremely humble." The sarcasm in Haymitch's voice was obvious at the last sentence.

"You have to be kidding me." Katniss sighed.

Haymitch gave her a dead glance. "Of course I'm kidding. He's a total peacock, trust me," he said. "Finnick is adored in the Capitol: charming, smart, and very skilled in combat. Watch out for him in water."

He continued onto the next one, showing Sidney as she volunteered for Annie. "Sidney Gage."

Peeta interrupted, raising his eyebrows as Sidney hugged Annie on the screen. "She seems nice."

Haymitch nodded. "Don't let her fool you, it was a big surprise when she won the 68th games at sixteen. People call her the pyromanic winner for a reason, she's crafty and the Capitol loves her." He tilted his head back toward Peeta.

"And weaknesses?" Katniss asked.

"She's caring, gets easily attached. It's a weakness." Haymitch started. "If I remember correctly, she cried over and during her first kill. Her and Finnick are close though, so it'll be both a problem and a strength for her these games."

"She has to realize that for him to make it she'd have to die, right?"

"Well Katniss, I just hope when she goes it's at her own accord. She's actually a very genuine person."

The two nodded at him, already thinking. They watched as the two tributes from District Four stood side-by-side.