𝟎𝟐𝟐 | A Different Light

Почніть із самого початку

She quickly hid her hurt hand inside her pocket, before he could see, and put up a smile on her lips for him; a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Finally!" Colin exclaimed. "You took ages in there! What did she have you doing?"

"Lines," Ophelia murmured quietly.

It was at that moment, that Colin spotted Harry. "Oh, hey Harry!"

Harry looked at the muggleborn. "Hi Colin," he replied, clearing his throat as he made eye-contact with Ophelia.

"How was detention?" Colin asked.

Ophelia rolled her eyes. Colin was always obsessed with Harry, and it was rather amusing, but tiring, at the same time.

Harry shrugged. "The same, as usual, terrible."

"Lines? She could have made you do something much worse," Colin pointed out. Ophelia noticed Harry was hiding his hand behind his back.

"What would possibly be worse than spending a single moment in her presence?" Ophelia scoffed, causing Colin to face her.

"Ophelia!" Colin exclaimed, suddenly taking her face in his hands, examining it closely. "Have you been crying?"

The blonde's cheeks flushed slightly as his warm fingers touched her skin, his brows furrowing as he looked at her. Her grey eyes looked into his, noticing all the small details on his face that she had ceased to notice before. 

She shook her head, taking a step back. "N-no, I haven't," she protested, clearing her throat.

"Oh really?" he drawled casually. "Nice lie," Colin rolled his eyes. "Hey Harry, can I ask you something?"

Ophelia just them noticed Harry, and her cheeks turned redder as she realized he had watched their interaction.

"Erm— sure," Harry rubbed the back of his neck.

"Was Ophelia crying in there?"

Harry took a glance into Ophelia's wide, scared eyes, and shrugged awkwardly. "I erm—"

"You were crying!" Colin accused, turning back to face her. "Did she say something to you?"

The blonde shook her head. "Just leave it, Creevey, nothing happened!" she snapped, before turning around and beginning to walk towards the common room, her hand still in her pocket. 

Striding towards her quickly, Colin grabbed the arm she had in her pocket, trying to will her to turn around.

He didn't know it was injured.

Her hand was lifted through the air, and the tissue she was gripping fell to the floor.

The next thing Colin noticed was blood. 

Blood on the tissue, and blood smudged all over the back of her hand.

His eyes widened, as Ophelia tried to hide her hand, but it was too late.

"Shit, shit!" Colin cursed loudly, the tips of his ears turning very red as the breath left his lungs. 

Ophelia had never heard him curse before, and her eyes flitted upwards to look at him.

He took her hand between his own, examining it closely. He felt his heart stop when he read what was written. "The audacity of that bi—"

"Colin, don't," Ophelia murmured quietly, shaking her head. She knew what he was thinking. She knew he would slam down Umbridge's door for her, and yell the hell out of their professor, but there was no winning with Umbridge. She'd only do the same to him.

Colin looked at her face, stained with tears, and his eyes softened.

"Oh, Ophelia," Colin sighed tiredly, shaking his head and pulling her into his chest, tightly wrapping his arms around her. "I'm sorry," he muttered. "I'm so sorry."

Ophelia closed her eyes slightly, taking slow, deep, breaths, while Colin whispered words of comfort. 

Both of them had forgotten that Harry Potter was still there, in the corridor, unable to stop looking at their interaction.

And Harry could only stare.

He noticed how Colin held her, and how utterly strange it was, for Ophelia to hug him back. The completely unbelievable thing was that she didn't seem to mind he was a mudblood.

She treated him no different. He had never seen her smile, or feel so utterly at peace. He had never seen her expression content.

She was always so expressionless, so emotionless, that Harry had wondered how and why Colin even hung around her.

But now he understood. Ophelia was just a broken girl, with thousands of walls built around herself, and somehow, Colin Creevey had managed to climb over all those walls and barriers and see her for who she truly was.

And soon, to Harry, The Ice Princess became just a girl, with a name. Ophelia Malfoy. A beautiful name, for a beautiful girl.

And Colin had managed to see her beauty.

Their embrace was so completely wrong, and so unexpected, but the more Harry stared at them, he realized it looked rather perfect.

Ophelia looked happy.

The rumors weren't true then. Ophelia had emotions, even though she acted as if she didn't. Colin wasn't under a spell, he had just managed to get her to trust him. 

For the first time, Ophelia Malfoy looked like a Gryffindor. Hugging Colin Creevey.

She was so brave, befriending a mudblood, despite her father's publicly known involvement in the Dark Arts.

Or maybe, Harry thought, perhaps she wasn't so bad at all.

From then on, within the deepest part of his heart, he began seeing her in a different light.

As Harry began to retreat to the common room, he met Ophelia's eye in the distance, as she slowly pulled away from Colin's embrace.

Her gaze was cold, and piercing, and he nodded, after a few seconds of an intense staring competition.

They had come to the non-verbal understanding that neither of them would speak of this day. 

Not now, not ever.

It never happened.

{ hey guys ! hope you enjoyed this chapter

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

{ hey guys ! hope you enjoyed this chapter. i loved writing it.
what did you think? i really, really ship colin and ophelia, but as i repeat! theo. nott.
apolpgies for the lack of theo here, i'm trying to make this book as realistic and slow burn as possible. trying to show all those emotional character developments.
anyway, comment, vote, follow, share <3
favorite color? (i hate this question)
mine's deep red. like blood red.
take care luvs ,,
love, jasmine }

{APR 01. 2023}