Chapter Five

Chapter V: 

Chapter V: 

Valencia Noor

          The second I opened the door I was engulfed in a hug. A genuine hug. It's been so long it's become an uncomfortable feeling. Especially at the moment. I've never liked feeling vulnerable and right now, I felt like a cat on my back, revealing my tummy.

I slightly hugged her back, just wanting to get it over with. She pulled back with a sympathetic smile. "I saw you grab this yesterday, so I bought another one." She pulled out a bottle of wine and I mentally thanked her observation skills; it was the right one. 

"Ugh, you're amazing." I grabbed it and led her to the kitchen. "Wow, I haven't been in here in so long.." 

Lucky you. 

"You still cooking?" 

"Of course," 

"How about we get a little bit tipsy, and you teach me a recipe?" She laughed. She was not a cook; it would be pretty amusing.

"For real? I'm down." I grabbed her a wine glass and filled it up with the wine that's already opened. "I hope you don't mind it; some people might say it's bitter." 

Some people as in mother. 

"Girl, the things we drink at the college parties are very questionable. I'm sure this will be great."

         "Remember when you turned down the captain of the football team and he tried humiliating you at lunch, so I tripped h-" Lou could barely finish her sentence before she burst out into another laughing fit. 

I clutched my stomach, in pain; I can't even remember the last time I laughed this much. "Beans. Everywhere." I waved my hand in the air trying to tell her to stop but it only made us laugh harder. 

When we calmed down, I looked at her, just now realizing how much I had missed her. The thought made me sigh, making her tilt her head. "What?" 

"Nothing," I shrugged. "It's just the last few years have been crazy. Now it seems the present is even more so." 

She nodded, deep in thought. "I know she wasn't the best mother, but she was still your mother. I'm sorry you lost her."