Chapter Two

Chapter II: You haven't changed much.

Valencia Noor

      Granate Market, my most traveled to place, very luck of me. I walked through the sliding doors of the little business, instantly getting greeted by a cold gust of air from the produce section. That's enough excitement for the week. 

This place was one of the many familiarities I wish I had the chance to forget. I would be lying if I said there wasn't a tad bit of fondness I held for this place, though. I have lived here my whole life, I walked these isles with my strawberry shortcake shoes, bought bubble gum the first-time mother decided I was old enough to walk the streets alone and came here with my friends after graduation for slush drinks and pizzas. 

I smiled at Mr. Adler behind the counter, and it was received with a wave. Him and his wife, Mei built this place only about thirty-five years ago. She had a liking for pomegranate, hence the name. 

Sadly, she died about two years ago from natural causes. She truly was a lovely woman; seeing the sad reminiscing look in Mr. Adlers' eyes made it almost unbearable to walk into these doors, but common faces make him feel less alone; she's noticed from observation. If she could make him feel better, even temporarily, it is worth the few extra coins. Supporting a small business is better than supporting a big company owned supermarket, anyway. 

      I looked at the list, even though it was memorized. First things first, I grabbed a bottle of wine. "Valencia, is that you?" 

I turned around to see someone I used to know, all too well. 

Lou Hayes. 

Her skin was aglow even with the low-quality lighting, her hair much longer than when I last seen her, and her body made it was definitely one of a runner. Looking at her instantly brought a wave of emotions. 

"Lou, what are you doing here?" I pried as she threw her arms around me lightly. 

"I'm taking a few days break from college, just wanted to take a breather and homesick isn't a myth, I guess." She peeked into the basket and seen the wine. I half crossed my arms, suddenly embarrassed. How does this look to her? 

"So, how's your mom?" Now it was her turn to pry. "Well, she's alive, still. I guess you could say I'm doing a job well done." I shrugged. 

She laughed, her perfect white teeth showing. "You haven't changed much." 

Ouch. 

One of the great wonders of this town, just a couple of lost souls frozen in time. 

       Growing up is a given, and it's not always you bring your childhood friends along with you on your journey but there was a part of me that felt abandoned. She stopped talking to me and returning my calls after two weeks of going to college without me. She was one of the ones who strongly disagreed with me taking care of mother, she tried her best to direct me away from the choice. The disappointment became her entire outlook on me after that, it was hard to blame her, though.

While she was taking in all the different kinds of wine, I noticed her body language was a little off. She was being secretive. Behind her back, I caught a glimpse of a little box.