Chapter 1-Trinken High

• Dedicated to Edward Cullen (What's not to love?)

Hi there reader! This is an original fiction, but you *might* be able to spot the similarities between this and Twilight. I found myself writing things like 'Rose' instead of 'Samantha'! Enjoy! xX

I writhed in pain. I knew exactly what was happening to me, it was one of the few things I knew from my parents before that fateful night. I was turning. I twisted over and felt the pine cones on the forest floor, and the dropped needles of the many trees. I could hear owls screeching, if I listened past my own deafening screams. I was right to come to a forest, it wouldn't attract attention that way.

Fire raged through my body, and white hot needles were pressed up my spine, spreading out to the rest of my back. My eyes rolled into the back of my head as I felt the jabs of agony coarse through the rest of my being. I lashed out as the feeling overtook all logical thought, my emotions as wild as my actions. I pulled my eyes open, but my vision was blurred, and red spots coated it.

I suddenly realised that my sense of smell had heightened, I could smell better than a dog. I smelt the algae in the river, the deer on the mountain, and the pine trees in the forest were overpowering. Opening my eyes again, the red spots were gone, my vision now sharp, clear and I could see for miles.

The stabbing left my body, cornering in my shoulder. I lashed out, just as the pain left, and I felt a new, familiar pain coarse through my shoulder. As my thoughts returned to normal, I found that I had ripped the muscles in my shoulder. I groaned, and pushed myself onto my back, as the last fiery hatred left my veins, and my transformation was complete.

***

I suppose I should explain what I am. My name is Katia Brown, and I am a werewolf.

When I say werewolf, do you think fury dog? Turns every full moon? Eats animals? Bites humans? Evil, mythical creature? Yeah, so did I when my parents first told me, but it's not true, none of it. It's myth.

Werewolves turn at will from human to wolf and vice versa, they are indeed an enormous fury dog. We eat exactly what humans eat, though I often find myself craving rare-done steak or beef. As for biting humans, peh! We wouldn't touch them, or at least, not most of us. But humans kill each other too don't they? It's just like that.

Werewolves mix with humans constantly, though we are a little different, even in a human form. Our heart rate is much slower, and our senses are far better, as is our stamina, speed and strength. It usually runs in the family, and you turn at age sixteen or seventeen. Family keep you away from prying human eyes as you scream at the burn inside you, because lets face it, if someone saw a teenager writhing in pain, and the parents wouldn't take them to the doctor, you'd have some answering to do.

For me, though, my turning was a little different.

We are not indestructible, we can die from extensive wounds or head injuries like you. My parents died in a plane crash that I wasn't in. They didn't suffocate or anything, we can't, but the plane dove straight for the airport. A thousand people died that day. So when I turned, I didn't have the support of my family, and now I'm a solitary wolf. I live on my own, in my own territory. Alone.

My parents told me four things about who we are. One, we are all werewolves. Two, don't touch the humans. Three, refrain from turning much, it's tiring. And four, don't show, tell or imply to humans what we are.

That's all I have to say, I'll continue with my story now.

***

3 Days Later...

I had felt the need to purchase a new car, my old truck was far too slow, and I wasn't tight on money. I had a steady income from my night job at the restaurant and a few thousand from my parents. So I drove into Trinken High on my first day in a flashy Porsche Boxter S, in metallic midnight blue. I sped into a space and slid my car neatly and quickly into a space near to the office.