Seventeen Candles✔

"Et si tu tombe je serai ton superman

"Et si tu tombe je serai ton superman. Je serai ta lumière dans le noir. Je ferai de toi ma woman"*

Goulam_Comorian singer

Ethan 

By the time we reach Thomassin night has completely fallen. The headlights of our car are the only ones piercing through the darkness of the road as Randolph drives up the hill of my mother's peaceful neighborhood. 

One of the reasons why I don't worry often about Mom is because she lives in the type of environment that is so elitist it would be really hard for any kind of riots to reach her here. Though given how precarious the conjuncture has become I start wondering how long the residential areas of Thomassin, Fermate, and Kenscoff will remain relatively safe.

Recently there has been more talk of protesters claiming they are going to start attacking "people from above." Meaning that they plan to target people of higher economic status who live in comfortable neighborhoods usually located in mountain areas. I try to push this impending menace to the back of my head but I know that I need to start planning. If hell breaks loose I'll need to find somewhere safe to send my mother.

I talked to her on the phone before I left the Marriott Hotel. She told me that Champ-de-Mars was such an impracticable mess due to the protests that her boss had advised most of the employees to spend the night at the office. She's coming back home tomorrow morning.

I indicate to Randolph where to park when we arrive home. He kills the engine but keeps the headlights on then he turns to face me in the backseat.

Norabel is sound asleep against my chest and I'm cradling her as if she's my most prized possession. I'm well aware of the kind of picture we must present to Randolph so when the corner of his lips stretch up in a mocking smile before he can open his mouth to say something that I know will get on my nerves I speak first.

"Thank you for driving us home," I tell him forcing myself to sound grateful.

Randolph scoffs.

"Oh please save the act. We both know it wasn't out of the goodness of my heart."

Well, at least he's self-aware enough.

Not wanting to wake up Norabel. I slowly disentangle ourselves and get out of the car. I go inside the house and head straight to the living room where I find the USB that contains what Randolph asked me for. All the tips I had gathered for my story along with witness statements and a list of schools I had planned to investigate regarding cases related to students who were constantly exposed to verbal abuse from teachers.

I make my way back to the car and hand over the USB to a gloating Randolph. I had to make a deal with him before he agreed to pick me up at the Marriott with an employee car issued by the radio so we could go find Norabel. The agreement was that I would give him any material that I was working on that could lead me to beat him at getting the promotion.