Eight Tasks✔

"Quand j'ai froid elle se fait lumière, comme un soleil dans l'existence

"Quand j'ai froid elle se fait lumière, comme un soleil dans l'existence."

Kendji Girac_French Singer

Norabel 

"We just got here and you're leaving already?" I try to keep my voice leveled to not come off as a crybaby. 

Mom walks the distance separating us from the doorframe of the guest room and comes to sit on the bed where one of my two suitcases is still unpacked.

"I'm sorry darling. But my name's on the list, I have to go. Also, this might be a subtle way for my supervisor to tell me they're not happy with the fact that I missed three days of work."

I swallow back the objection hovering on the tip of my tongue. We arrived at Jasmine's house barely fifteen minutes ago and were just settling in our assigned bedrooms when Mom received a call from work. Her department is dispatching some employees in the commune of Arcahaie to run a short awareness campaign on breast cancer and my mother's name is figured on the list.

"How long will you be gone?" I ask.

"They said it's only for two weeks, but you know given the conjuncture there might be some unforeseen events."

There's a high probability that these "unforeseen events" might include the fact that bandits can choose to block the passage at any given moment. She might be stuck in Arcahaie unable to make it back safely to the capital.

As if sensing where my mind is going, my mother tries to reassure me. "Some NGO members from the U.S. will be part of the trip as well and we'll have security with us. It's going to be okay Norabel."

"Except that having white people tagging along will make you guys a target. You seem to forget about those seventeen American missionaries who got kidnapped. There were children and a baby in that group Mom, these criminals aren't scared of–"

"Norabel that's enough," my mother's firm tone shuts me up immediately. There's a chill moment of silence during which she seems to be debating what to say to me then her expression softens. "I'm well aware of the risks but I can't bail on this on the pretext that something bad might happen."

My shoulders deflate as I exhale slowly to let out some of my frustration. "I'm sorry Mom, you're right."

She brings me against her in a tight hug and her chin comes to rest on top of my head. In that moment I don't feel like the twenty-two years old that I am but rather like a toddler afraid of being separated from her mom.

"You'll barely have the time to notice that I'm gone," she says softly. "Besides Jasmine is very warm, she'll do her best to keep you entertained. It's also great that her son is here you'll have someone close to your age to keep you company."