Five Percent✔

"Nou soti lwen yon jou na rive lwen

"Nou soti lwen yon jou na rive lwen. Peyi sa pa ka gaspiye."*

J-Perry_Haitian Singer

Ethan

"I wish you a prompt recovery," Mr. Brayard says as we exchange a handshake. "Come back to us brand new."

"I will sir, thank you."

I come out of his office with the letter he just gave me in hand. Sick leave. I'm not as relieved as I should be because those fifteen days off work will allow my arm to heal properly. Now is just not a good time for me to be absent from the radio. This injury has chosen the worst timing.

"Hey, Ethan. You're leaving already?"

Gary, one of our sound engineering technicians, spots me from afar as he heads out of the rest area for employees with a mug in hand. He walks down the hall toward me with a big smile on his face. Gary is a giant bearded man who looks more like he belongs to the NBA than behind a tech console. Maybe his imposing stature is the reason why he keeps a friendly face to make people comfortable.

"I only stopped by to collect my leave."

"Oh man, I can't believe this happened to you," he looks at my right arm with empathy as if he can see the bandages wrapped around my flesh underneath my dress shirt. "Does it still hurt?"

"Not as much now, it's mostly sore."

We walk together past the studio where the morning musical emission is airing, animated by Steve Corian one of the most famous radio hosts right now.

"You know you've got to come back quick man, right? I don't mean to stress you out but Randolph has been more cocky ever since word has gotten around that you'd be missing work for a while."

"Why am I not surprised..." I mumble trying to appear detached. 

I don't remember how this rivalry between me and Randolph started but our co-workers avidly alimented this abstract competition on the sidelines.  The fact that the promotion is now open has added fuel to the fire. One of the regular journalists of the morning journal panel is going to retire and Mr. Brayard has told us that Randolph and I are the top candidate he's considering for the position. The most devoted reporter out of the two of us will be the one who will be promoted. My being away for two weeks will give Randolph a big head start therefore putting me at a clear disadvantage. 

"In any case, you don't have to worry," Gary says. "Mr. Brayard has you in high esteem, you know that."

"That's exactly what I'm worried about. Randolph still thinks after three years that I got this job because our boss knew my father. I have to bust my ass twice as hard to prove that I deserve this promotion."