Nine Women✔

«Fanm sa anba li natirel, li fè nèg pete rèl

«Fanm sa anba li natirel, li fè nèg pete rèl. Se pa zoom ki pou fè w wè li bonbe.»

Yani Martelly_Haitian Singer

Ethan

I pretend to be profoundly absorbed in my reading when Norabel makes her way toward me. The last thing I want is to give her the impression that I've been spying on her for the last hour. I did throw a few glances in her direction but it was simply out of curiosity.

She took notes during the webinar and asked many questions. I didn't mean to eavesdrop but given the fact that there's only the two of us inside the bookshop I picked up on what she was saying. From what I've heard this webinar was an introduction to a foreign internship program. Norabel is an applicant.

When it was time to introduce herself she did so in a self-assured manner, stating her name, age nationality, and major. When questioned about her thesis, she dived into the topic of her thesis with a mix of passion and confidence that made every word coming out of her mouth captivating. She did look my way a few times but I was lucky that when it happened my eyes were glued on the page of the novel I held in my hands. That's how she finds me now in the reading nook next to the floor-to-ceiling windows offering a nice view of a backyard garden.

"Ethan?"

Norabel calls out my name tentatively not wanting to disturb me. I fight back the urge to smile. I have barely paid attention to the words in front of me, I've already read that book anyways. When I look up, I notice her tote bag strap over her shoulder.

"How was the webinar?" I ask and immediately witness a gleam of satisfaction take over her eyes.

"It went very well. Thanks for asking." Her eyes fall on the book I'm holding. A flash of recognition crosses her expression and I expect her comment on it but when her attention returns to me she says, "I'm ready to leave now if you are."

Am I ready to leave?

It would be nice to get to know her some more, especially if we're about to cohabit during the time I'll be staying with my mother. Listening to Norabel talk about her thesis earlier sparked a curiosity inside of me that I find myself unable to shake off. Maybe that's just the journalist inside of me wanting to get a closer look into her personality.

"I've prepared some refreshments for you," Gladys the bookshop owner comes toward us holding a silver tray. There are two glasses of what looks like watermelon juice and some biscuits on a plate.

I stand up immediately to help her put down the tray on a small wooden table with a vase of red and yellow tulips in its center.

"You shouldn't have troubled yourself, Gladys, thanks a lot."