Twelve Memories✔

«Ne pense plus à lui, tu t'fais du mal, s'te plaît, n'y pense plus. Il a souillé ton âme, toi tu t'es battue.»

Tayc_Cameroonian-French singer

Norabel

I turn off the faucet and lift my head to look at myself in the mirror above the sink. My eyes are still slightly red but there's nothing I can do about it so I reach for a towel and dry my face.

I didn't expect to get so emotional when Ethan decided to tell me the story behind how he got shot. But I guess it triggered my memories about constantly hearing gunshots and wondering if the next bullet was going to come for me.

I get out of the bathroom and while crossing the hall leading to my guest room, I spot Ethan about to open the door to his bedroom. He halts when he sees me. For a brief moment he seems about to say something but seconds pass and he remains silent.

"Are you feeling better?" I ask. We finished lunch not long ago and he seemed to be in better condition than when I had just arrived.

I didn't recognize the names of the medication he asked me to bring so when the pharmacist asked me if I was buying them for someone with a heart condition, I texted Ethan who then sent me a picture of his signed medical prescription. Thankfully after showing the picture to the guy behind the counter, he handed me the pills.

"I am," Ethan says before asking right away, "Are you free this afternoon?"

For a brief moment, my mind goes completely blank. I can't make sense of his words so I find myself repeating his question.

"Am I free this afternoon?"

He nods.

"I've noticed you're always in your bedroom and it's been already five days since you moved in. I wondered if you were getting bored. I could take you around the neighborhood to get some fresh hair and relax a bit. It's your last year at uni I know how stressful it can be."

I mentally review his suggestion. After the mock presentation of my thesis, I have less work to do now and could use some distractions. I spent half of my week focused on memorizing my presentation until I could say it in my sleep and the other half throwing myself a pity party about missing home.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to go out.

"I'm free," I say. "It would be nice to get familiar with the neighborhood."

An unexpected grin lightens up Ethan's face and my heart does a weird somersault. I decide to blame it on my fragile emotional state after hearing his story.

"Let's meet downstairs around 5 PM then. Does that work for you?"

"No problem."

"Perfect. And we won't need a car this time."