It Doesn't Always Work Out

The two of you sit silently in the living room, unsure what to say.

Both of you are tired of trying to fix issues in your relationship.

There are just too many of them, and they occur too often.

A ship will not sail if its captain constantly tries to repair it.

It's difficult to admit that your relationship will never work, but it's true.

Your friends and family are so happy you have found each other. They're convinced if you work hard enough, your relationship will last.

"I think we both know what we need to do," you say quietly, looking at your hands in your lap.

Although you don't see it, Jenna nods her head softly.

You look over at her, a sad expression on your face.

You don't directly meet her eye, but as soon as you hear that familiar sniffle, you move to wrap your arms around her.

Both of you rest your heads on the other's shoulder, letting the tears fall freely.

"I'm so sorry", Jenna sobs, clinging to your shirt.

"Me too," you whisper, your voice breaking.

After holding each other for a long while, you pull away.

"I'll pack my things and leave first thing in the morning. I'll have my things moved to my old apartment, so you won't have to worry about seeing me," Jenna explains, clearing her throat.

You want nothing more than to stop her from leaving.

To tell her that this time, it'll work out.

But this relationship has been on and off for a while, and it's unhealthy for either of you.

"You don't have to rush. Take as long as you need. I'm happy to help if you want?" You offer a tiny spark of hope lighting within you.

Jenna smiles, resting a hand on your thigh gently. "Thank you for offering, but I'll be ok."

You nod again, and the two of you stand up from the couch, unsure what to say.

"Jenna, I just want to say-"

"Y/n I-"

You both chuckle, and you let her speak first.

"I just wanted to say that despite our rough patches, you've been amazing. I hope you meet someone who deserves to love you."

It may have looked like you smiled at her kind words, but as soon as they left her mouth, you felt an ache in your chest.

Truthfully, you still want her.

God, you still only want her.

But you can't have her. Not anymore. And it fucking hurts.

"Thank you, that's sweet. I wish you the same, of course. Someone out there will be your perfect match, and I'm so excited for you to find them," you say, biting back so many other things you want to tell her.

Jenna moves to hug you once more, turning her head to plant a soft kiss on your cheek.

"Bye, Y/n"

"Bye, Jenna"

And with that, she walks to your door and leaves.

You feel numb as you sit back down on the couch.

This was the right thing to do; you keep repeating.

All you want to do is run after her and convince her to stay permanently this time.

But you can't. You won't. She deserves better than that.

Such a bitter ending to a love story that seemed simply perfect.

Total words: 567

A/N

I'm sorry I'm so evil but I had to post at least one with a bad ending

Hopefully it's not too bad!