My Personal Food Critic (Part 2) (Requested)

"Food's ready!" you call out.

You wait for the familiar footsteps to approach you, but they never do.

Frowning, you turn the stove off before going around the house, looking for your favourite girls.

"Jenna? Is everything ok, darling?" you ask again, heading upstairs to your shared bedroom.

The sight that meets your eyes makes your heart swell.

Jenna has your two-year-old daughter, Sofia, on her lap while she reads a storybook.

You lean against the doorframe, a smile on your face as you watch them happily.

Jenna finishes the book soon after and closes it gently. She looks up to see you watching her and smiles softly.

"Just wanted to say food's ready if you're both hungry."

Jenna picks up Sofia and kisses her cheek a few times, making her giggle.

You walk up to them and wrap an arm around Jenna's waist. You kiss her softly before pressing your lips against Sofia's forehead.

Sofia begins to squirm in Jenna's arms, and you chuckle, taking her into your own.

"Come on, darling; our little bean is losing her patience."

You go downstairs, and Jenna plates your meal while you distract Sofia.

Putting Sofia in her high chair, and sit opposite Jenna. Grabbing a plastic spoon, you scoop up some mushed peas, making aeroplane noises as you move the spoon closer to Sofia.

She watches you with wide eyes, making you smile. Sofia takes the spoon in her mouth and eats.

"So, what's the verdict, my loves?" You ask, grabbing some more food from Sofia's spoon.

"Mm, it's a solid 9/10 for me," Jenna says, making you look at her with raised eyebrows.

"Only 9/10 for my Michelin-star restaurant? Unacceptable," you mumble, feeding Sofia more food.

Jenna laughs, letting you eat while she takes her turn feeding your daughter.

"Well, Sofia thinks the food is yummy, sweetheart?"

"Yummy!" Sofia exclaims happily, making both of you smile.

After you finish your meals, you tuck Sofia in for an afternoon nap before sitting on the couch beside Jenna.

"You've become a harsher critic over the years", you joke, wrapping your arm around her.

"It just wasn't the best meal you've cooked", she explains, pecking your lips.

You hold her hand, playing with the ring on her finger while you smile.

"What was my best work then?" You wonder.

She grins. "All of the pregnancy-craving meals you made me, of course"

You grimace. "Gross, babe. Pickles and nutella? Mango and sardines? I've never felt more offended."

Jenna shrugs. "They were delicious, I swear."

You sigh, kissing her forehead. "Baby, don't take this wrong, but I think you should retire as my food critic. I'll have to find a replacement."

Jenna smiles wide, cupping your face. "Well, I did want a mini you running about, and Sofia is the spitting image of me, so it's only fair."

You lean in and kiss her lovingly, letting your hands hold her sides gently. You have a beautiful family, and can't wait to expand it.

Mainly because you need more personal critics to judge your culinary skills, of course.

Total words: 537