Part 13: mr. myrtle

ابدأ من البداية

"So you're the ones making all that racket?" He said rather than asked, but I still answered, "Yes sir" I said rubbing my arm, feeling awkward as I stood there, "you get it?" he asked. I was slightly taken aback but then realized what he meant, "Uh... yeah" I said gesturing to Benny to give me the ball in which he'd picked up after I'd dropped it.

I grabbed the ball and gave it to Mr. Myrtle who felt the ball and even smelled it which I found a little weird but honestly didn't judge it; I mean if you're blind I guess you've gotta rely on your other senses, "First time anyone's got the best of ol' Hercules" He commented, we all just stayed silent, "Why didn't you just knock on the door? I would've gotten it for you"

I slowly turned my head to Squints, giving him a glaring side-eye as the others practically read my mind and decided to start hitting him with their hats.

"Are you serious?!?!"
"Really Squints?!?"
"We got the ball back didn't we?!?!"
"We could've gotten killed!!"

"We got the ball back..." Squints said defensively, crossing his arms. Mr. Myrtle just laughed at the commotion, I turned back to him, an embarrassed frown on my face, "Thanks for bringing him home" Mr. Myrtle said through his laughter, "Come on in" he said as he turned around. I looked at Benny and Scotty who looked at me before I stepped up the stairs, walking inside his home.

As we entered his home, I was taken aback. It was beautiful. Wall to wall it was covered in Yankees and baseball memorabilia, although my staring and gawking was cut short by Mr. Myrtle, "You're in trouble aren't you, girl?" He asked me. I was almost too embarrassed to speak, luckily Scotty spoke up for me.

"Yeah well, we kinda both are" He started, "that was her dads, well... my stepdads ball, but I hit it over the fence" He looked at me and back at Mr. Myrtle, "I took it without asking, It was sighted by Babe Ruth" he explained, "George sighted this?" Mr. Myrtle asked, Calling The Babe by his given name, which normally never happens.

I shot a slightly confused look at Benny, "George Herman Ruth? Yes" I said still confused by why he would call him that, "I take it back, you're not in trouble," He said, sending a small serge of relief through my body, which quickly faded as he continued, "you two are dead where you stand" If I was smiling before, all signs of happiness drained my face.

"Hold on" He said with a smile. He walked across the room to a display case, grabbing a ball from its stand before walking over to us, "Here, I'll trade ya" he said holding the balls in his hands, was he crazy? Does he know how important that ball is to my dad? To me? "Thanks but, that ball is really signed by Babe Ruth" Benny said taking a step forward, noticing my demeanor.

"So is this one" He said, "Along with the rest of the 1927 Yankees" He held the ball closer to me, and I couldn't believe it. Just like he said, the ball was signed by the entire team from 1927... but that ball still wouldn't be worth near as much to my dad, "Why would you trade with us?" Scotty asked, "That one's all chewed up" he said as if it wasn't already obvious.

"I've got all kinds of stuff" he said, "Look at that stuff" He said gesturing at the display case of all his merchandise, "you need that ball more than I do" I beg to differ, I said in my mind. I still took time to examine the case, it held baseballs, mitts, scoresheets, and pictures, although one picture in particular caught my eye.

It the picture stood Mr. Myrtle looking younger in a baseball uniform, next to him stood- "You knew Babe Ruth?!" Benny asked, taking the words out of my mouth. "George?" Mr. Myrtle asked, using his first name again, "Sure did, and he knew me" he said, "He was almost as good as me too, I would have beaten his record too but..."

"You went blind" I said realizing the truth, the truth about everything, "Yup" he said so nonchalantly, as if he had to explain this a lot, "For me, baseball was life" he said in a sadder tone, "But one day, I went to hit a fast one then... pow!" I looked at Mr. Myrtle, back at Benny and Scotty, then back to the two balls that were placed on the table.

"Well, I don't think we can take that ball Mr. Myrtle" I said, "Tell you what" He started, "you guys come over once a week and talk baseball with me, we'll call it an even trade" He said with a smile.

"You don't understand" I said to Mr. Myrtle, sitting at the table, "That baseball, the one all chewed up, has more sentimental value to my dad than... anything. My mother gave my father that before she passed, and it's the only thing he has let himself hold onto" I explained, I could feel the tears beginning to well in my eyes.

"I see..." he said, like someone who knew the situation perfectly. He slid the two balls towards me, giving me a smile, "I can help you clean up that ball" He said, "may not look the same but it will still hold some value, you can also take the other, I feel like your father would appreciate it coming from you" he said sweetly, "The offer still stands"

I looked at Scotty and Benny, who've been behind me the whole time. I looked back at Mr. Myrtle who had his hand stretched out for a handshake. One of the tears that had welled began to slip out as I answered him, "Deal" I said as I shook his hand. I knew then and there that I'd made a friend for life.