Part 2: the girl

Your POV:

The next morning after getting dressed, I went downstairs to see Scotty's Mom cooking breakfast with Scotty and my dad sitting down at the table. I sat in the chair closest to Scotty.

"Hey, (Y/n)" he said as if he was about to ask a question "Yeah?" I asked before taking a bite out of the jam and toast I'd fixed for myself. "Do you think uhh.. do you think you could reconsider teaching me to play catch?" He asked fiddling with the food on his plate.

"Of course Scotty" I said as my spirits lifted, His mother sat with us and gave me a smile.,"We'll start after breakfast okay?" I said taking another bite of my toast, "Sounds good!" He agreed and began to eat rather quickly.

After breakfast I fetched my ball and two mitts again, giving one to Scotty, who luckily remembered how to put the mitt on. "Alright so first things first, I don't believe I did much teaching when I showed ya this but, the key is to keep your eye on the ball, whether it be pitching, batting, in the outfield, no matter what, keep your eye on the ball" I explained as I backed away from him.

"Okay, got it" he said. "I'll throw it to you this time okay?" I said. "Okay I'm ready" he said getting back into his stance. I rolled my eyes and gently tossed it to him, but it went right past him. "Darn, sorry" he said then going to get the ball. "It's alright... just remember to keep your eye on the ball" I repeated.

He nodded and prepared to throw it, I stood ready to catch it, but he tossed it and it just rolled towards my feet. I took a deep breath and picked it up. "Okay, again, eye on the ball... this one's gonna be a bit faster alright?" I said. He nodded and took his stance.

I wound up and threw it, although a bit too hard, because it ended up hitting Scotty in the eye, knocking him over. "Shit! Scotty! Are you okay?!" I asked running over to him.

I brought him inside and sat him down at the table, my dad being who he was grabbed a slab of meat out of the freezer and plopped it onto his face. "There" he said "it'll be black but at least it won't swell" my dad said. "Scotty I'm so so sorry!" I apologized. "Don't worry about it, it was an accident" he said still holding the slab of meat to his eye.

About an hour went by since I hit Scotty in the eye with the ball, we were now sitting on the steps of our house watching the cars drive by and playing eye spy. "Scotty I really am sorry" I said once again. "I said don't worry about it (Y/n)@ he said, "I guess baseball just really isn't my thing"

I looked down at the ground until I heard footsteps nearing us. I looked up to see the same guy from the field, the one with the black hair and tan skin, "Hey uhh we're gonna go play some ball and we need an extra guy" he said, "you guys wanna come?" He asked so nonchalantly.

"Sur-" Scotty cut me off, "no thanks" I glared at him, "why not? Don't you like baseball?" The boy asked, smiling with teeth I'd just happen to notice we're very straight and white. "My uh.. my glove, it's busted" Scotty said gesturing inside to where his imaginary busted up glove was, "see now I can't go"

"Here, I got some extras" he said tossing one glove to Scotty and attempting to toss the other one at me but I stood up before he could. "No need... I got my own" I said. The boy gave me a small smile "Well get it and come on" he said. I nodded and ran inside while Scotty trailed behind me "Hey mom we're going to play some ball!" He yelled as I made my way back to the door with my glove.

We then ran down the street towards town "I'm Benny by the way, Benny Rodriguez" he said first to Scotty, shaking his hand which makes me laugh. "Uhh Scotty Smalls, and this is my stepsister" he said wanting me to introduce myself. "(Y/n) (L/n)" I said slightly smiling. "Well nice to meet ya, I want you two to meet some of my friends"