Part 9: the plan

Your POV:

We ended up back at the drug store with barely enough money to buy us a ball. We were all scrambling out of the store trying to get the box with the ball in it opened.

"Gimme a pen, gimme a pen!!" Benny yelled at us as we all frantically searched, "I got a pencil.." Timmy said, "No not a pencil a pen!" Benny scolded, "Here!" I said handing him the pen I just so happened to keep in my pocket.

"Thanks!" He said as he began attempting to recreate the signature on the baseball we'd lost, "I don't know Benny man..." Kenny said as Benny tried to write the best he could on the ball, "Yeah yeah looks kinda crappy" Yeah yeah critiqued.

"It doesn't matter what it looks like! His mom's never gonna know the difference" Benny explained, "This'll just buy us some time ya dorks!" He said completing the signature.

Later that day, we'd gotten home to see Scotty's mom had gotten back from the airport, I handed the ball to Scotty, "Look, this is your mess, you can put the ball up" I said in an aggravated tone as we both entered the house. I went straight to my room.

Scotty's POV:

I let myself into the house with the fake ball in my hand. I walked through the house to the trophy room and went straight to the stand where the original ball once was.

"Scotty?" I heard my mom calling my name from down the hall, almost scaring me half to death, "uhh in here mom!" I said quickly, which was a mistake because this would just give her more time to realize the ball.

"Oh hi honey!" She said in a sweet voice, "what are you doing in here?" She asked, "Oh just looking at Bill.. I-I mean Dads baseball..." I said, as if my guilt was trying to escape by drawing attention to the ball.

"You know he doesn't like you to touch his things" she said in a motherly tone, this was my chance, "Yeah I know... sorry mom" I said keeping my head low, trying to make a break for the door.

She immediately stopped me, "Has he ever told you about that ball?" She asked looking up to admire it, "Oh uh.. no not really" I couldn't help but trip over my own words, "I-I don't think so.. nah.. nah he hasn't at all, umm... I don't, I don't know anything about it.."

"Babe Ruth signed that ball" she said as if I wasn't reminded five hundred times before, "he was the greatest baseball player who ever lived" she explained, "R-really?" I asked trying to keep my guilt repressed.

"Sure is" she said with a smile, "he told me his father gave him that ball, maybe some day he'll give it to you" I immediately shook my head and actually told one truth that day, "Oh.. nah.. he'll probably give it to (Y/n)... I mean she is his daughter"

Your POV:

The next day after Scotty planted the fake ball, we all met up at the treehouse overlooking the Sandlot to try and come up with a plan to get the original ball back. I couldn't lie, I was pretty upset with Scotty... mostly because my dad had promised me that he'd gift me that ball some day.

I remember the story he told me about that ball, my mother had gifted it to him on his birthday after I was born. I tried to shake my anger away and just tried to come up with a plan like everyone else.

"Hey I got it!" I said sitting upright from the position I was laying on the treehouse floor, making all of them turn their heads, "Why don't we just go over there, knock on the door, and ask this Mr. Myrtle guy if he can-"