Part 4: the beast

Your POV:

"Hamilton 'The Babe' Porter" Ham continues as he's up to bat, "Come on DeNunez!" He said taunting our pitcher, then pointing towards our imaginary stands like The Babe did which made all of us laugh.

DeNunez pitched to Ham, which he missed, making all of us laugh once more. "You call that pitching!" Ham yelled as we all gave out commentary, "This is baseball not tennis!" He said, "Give him a tennis racket!" I yelled earning a few laughs. "Give me something to hit!" Ham said getting annoyed.

Benny then threw the ball back to Kenny, "Alright Ham! This is my heater! I dare you to hit it!" Kenny said. "You'll be sorry" Ham said getting ready to bat. Kenny then wound up the pitch, more than usual. The ball went flying through the air and to all of our surprise, Ham actually hits it, sending it so far back it reaches over the fence.

"And that's how you play baseball!!" Ham said as he ran through all of the bases earning the others pelting him with their mitts, scotty and I just laughed at their banter. "Ham you idiot! Now we can't play no more!" I continued to laugh and looked at where the ball went, it was just over this green fence. "I'll get it!" I said and made my way over to the back fence.

"NO!" I heard Squints yell, which I was assuming was just more banter brought on by Ham's home run. As I began to climb up the fence I heard the familiar footsteps of the boys running up behind me as I was about to reach the top. "Guys I'm getting the ball, calm down"

They didn't say anything but Benny then climbed to where he could pull me down by the waist which sent both of us tumbling off the fence which made me land on top of him. I rolled off and began to dust my clothes off. "What the hell guys?!" I yelled as Benny got up, helping me up in the process.

"You could've been killed!" Squints yelled, "Yeah yeah, what were you thinking?" Yeah-yeah asked me, "Well you guys were complaining so I-" Benny then cut me off, "You can't go back there (Y/n)!" He said, I could see the worry in his eyes.

"Why not?" I asked, "How are we gonna get the ball back?"

"We don't! It's history!" Tommy said, "History!" Tim repeated, "it's gone man" Bertram said along with some other discouraging words brought on by the group, "The game's over" Benny explained, "We'll just... get another ball tomorrow, we'll never see it again" he explained.

"Well, why not?" Scotty asked.

The group looked at each other then back at Scotty and I, "The Beast!" They all said in unison. Scotty and I looked at each other then looked back at them, "What's that?" I asked almost wanting to laugh.

Benny then walked up to us with a really serious face, "alright guys, I want you two to go over to that fence, really slow, and stay quiet, and peek through that hole" he said pointing to the fence. I turned around to face the fence, looked at scotty then shrugged.

Him and I walked over to the fence very slowly and each looked through different holes on the fence. All I could see was a bunch of trash and some dirt, and the ball that was just hit. I kept looking, until a massive paw came out from nowhere and took the ball away making scotty and I step away from the fence. "What the hell was that?!" I asked the group.

Once again they looked at each other and talked in unison, "Camp out!!"

I soon came to realize that the boys had made a treehouse above the Sandlot and they would spend nights there during the summer. "Sorry we're late guys" I said as Scotty and I arrived, "Yeah sorry, my mom made us put on jackets.. and do the dishes" Scotty explained. "Hey I'm just glad you made it" Benny said, smiling at me.