Part 13: mr. myrtle

Your POV:

"Oh no..." I said to myself, seeing the dog half under the fence. I carefully made my way over to the fence. Standing there in that moment i'd realized something, The Beast wasn't so much of a beast at all. Sure he was a large dog, but a beast was an exaggeration. And now he was hurt, bad.

I dropped the ball on the ground and began to try and lift the fence off of the animal. "Ugh... come on guys help me!!" I yelled as I tried again to lift the fence, hearing the dog whimpering underneath it, but it wouldn't budge. "Come on... Benny... Scotty?" I said, sorry in my voice, "Help me! He's hurt!" Scotty walked over to help me, again it wouldn't budge.

"Come on, Benny..." I said to him, I knew he saw the disappointment on my face because it made him walk over to help us. The three of us were able to lift up the fence, leaving room for the dog to crawl out from under it. We let the fence fall, all grunting. I was kneeling on the ground, overall exhausted from the five miles I probably just ran.

I looked up to see the dog, inches from my face, drool hanging from his mouth. Benny and Scotty sprung up, scared of what this animal might do, but I couldn't move. My eyes widened, but before I could react, the animal began gently licking my face, almost like he was thanking me. I couldn't help but laugh and started petting him.

"Awww you just wanted someone to play with, didn't you~?" I asked in a baby voice, scratching him behind his ears, "You're not a big mean beast that they tell me about, now are you~?" I said as he kept licking my face. After a few more licks, laughs, and pets, the dog turned, walking over to his hut.

I looked at Benny and Scotty who looked at the dog. I stood up and followed the dog, realizing he was trying to show us something, "Whoa..." I said, not believing what I was seeing, "You guys gotta come see this" I gestured to the boys to walk over, which they did.

"Wow!" Yeah-Yeah said taking in what we were seeing, "We could play baseball forever" Benny commented. What we were looking at was every single baseball that had been hit over the fence, all in the back of the small hut. There was at least a hundred, if not more than that.

After that shock and awe campaign about how The Beast was actually a really sweet dog and how he kept every ball that has ever come back there, I decided it would be a step in the right direction to make sure Mr. Myrtle knew his dog was back. Scotty had the dog by the collar as I gave the back door a gentle knock.

It took him a second to emerge from the house, although when he did I noticed something immediate about Mr. Myrtle. He was blind. Or at least couldn't see all too well due to him wearing a pair of sunglasses inside, "Hello?" He said in a booming almost shockingly deep voice. Now I knew he was blind because he could have seen us even through the dirty screen door.

"This is bad" I heard Squints say behind Scotty, Benny, and I, "This is very bad" he said again. "Shut it would ya?!" Benny whisper-yelled, "Umm we... we brought your dog home" Scotty stammered, still holding the dog by the collar, "Hercules?" The man asked, now giving us the dogs name which made me huff out a small laugh, "How'd he get out?" he asked.

"I'm tellin' you guys, we shoulda just turned him loose" Squints commented, "Well... we uhhh..." I began but I didn't know how to tell him all of the events that'd just happened, "Well what happened was," Benny said thankfully cutting me off, "we hit a baseball into your backyard and we tried to get it back" he explained.