Part 12: the great chase

Your POV:

I woke up in my bed and immediately noticed I was the only one laying there. I frowned as I sat up, but I assumed Benny probably headed home last night after I fell asleep. I didn't blame him, I didn't think his mom would've been too thrilled to see he wasn't at home.

I got out of bed, heading to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth before returning to my room and went to my closet to choose an outfit, as I was pulling out my shirt, I noticed what seemed to be a brand new pair of shoes. I didn't know where they'd came from but when I opened them, I knew I'd love them the minute I put them on.

On the box it said, "Guaranteed to make you run faster and jump higher than any kid on the block" I thought of that as just a silly tag line, but after I put them on, I already felt braver, and faster than before. I smiled, remembering my dream I'd had as well and thought of this as a sign. I got up and went to Scotty's room realizing it was almost 7:45 and we needed to be at the field at 8 like we did every day.

"Scotty come on we're gonna be late!" I said walking down the hall, hearing him come out of his room, still in his pjs, "What are you wearing! Come on!" I said. "(Y/n)... I don't know" Scotty said, "Look Scotty, I know it sounds crazy but... I had a dream last night and I think today's the day" I said with a proud smile, "What?" He asked "I'll tell you on the way, get dressed!" I said.

Once he got dressed, him and I walked to the Sandlot. "(Y/n) are you insane!? The last kid-" I cut him off, "Got eaten! I know!" I said, "but there's this feeling Scotty, this feeling I can't ignore..." I said as we made it to the Sandlot. I wasn't expecting anyone else to be there, but low and behold, there was the group of eight boys standing next to the fence.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Benny, with a curious smile. "(Y/n)... I don't know about this" Kenny said concerned, "Yeah Yeah this is suicide!" Yeah-Yeah said, making me roll my eyes. "Well... I'm glad you guys are here then" I said, walking over to the fence. They tried to step forward to stop me from climbing over but Benny stopped them. "There's no talking her out of it guys..."

"If something does go wrong, which I'm sure it won't, I'm glad you guys are here" I said, "but you guys have to trust me" I explained. They exchanged looks and looked back at me. I then walked up to the fence and started to climb, "Wait!" I heard a familiar voice yell.

I turned to see my brother coming up to me,
"(Y/n), wait" he said, "this was my fault, I should be the one to get the ball back" he said. "Yeah Benny, I mean we can't really let her do this" Bertram said. "You're gonna have to" I said to Bertram then looked at Scotty, "I have to do this Scotty.. for you.. for them, and, as selfish as it sounds, for me too" I looked back at the fence, walking up to it again.

"Wait!" Another voice said, I rolled my eyes and turned to see Benny jogging up to me, before I knew what was happening, he grabbed my face, pulling me into a tender kiss, then he pulled away, whispering, "you don't have to do this" he said. I sighed and backed away, "Yes I do... you know better than anyone that I have to do this Benny" I said, then I began to climb the fence for the final time.

As I was climbing the fence, my dream and everything Babe Ruth had said to me kept replaying in my head non stop... "Remember kid, hero's get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong"

I took a deep breath before pushing myself over the fence, landing on the dirt covered ground. The yard was scattered with broken toys and random pieces of junk metal and wood. I then looked to see The Beast's hiding spot, billowing with dust.