Part 3: the catch

Your POV:

"Base up ya blockheads!" Benny yelled to his team and as if on cue, they dispersed onto the field as Scotty and I stayed put.

"Alright, Scotty you take center field and uhh.. (L/n), where ya best at?" He asked. "Right field" I explained with a cheeky grin, strapping on my glove. "Alright, go ahead" he said then ran back to the batters box, I nodded and went to head to right field until Scotty stopped me.

"Uh.. where's center?" He asked, I smiled, "it's over there man" I said pointing to where he needed to stand, "Thanks!" He said then went to go stand in his designated spot as I did as well.

"Yeah-yeah get two!" Benny yelled then hit the ball to Yeah-yeah, who threw the ball to Bertram, who threw the ball to Tommy, who in the end threw it back to Ham who was the catcher, "Nice!" Ham gawked.

It was actually really amusing to me how much these guys love the game. Almost as much as I did. I knew I'd actually found people worth making my friends... that is if they kept their sexist thoughts to themselves.

"Smalls! Throw it to second!" Benny yelled at Scotty, "okay!!" Scotty yelled back, I got ready and watched Scotty as Benny hit the ball, making its way over to Scotty. But as soon as the ball was overhead and coming down, Scotty fell backwards trying to catch it, the team groaned at the sight.

I sighed and watched as Scotty retrieved the ball, "a square Benny!" Squints said, "The guys a square!" When Scotty finally retrieved the ball, instead of throwing it, he walked all the way across the field to Kenny to give him the ball back. He then ran back to center.

I felt like Benny and I had the same idea as we both approached Scotty. "You know you can throw it right?" Benny asked trying to lighten the mood. "No, I don't know how" scotty said, he looked up at me then at Benny, "she can stay but, It'd probably be best if I left" he said trying to make a break for the exit.

"Oh no you don't!" I said grabbing his shoulder making him stay, "You think too much" Benny stated, "I bet you get straight A's and shit huh?" He asked.

"No I got a B once!" Scotty retaliated, "actually, it was an A minus.. but it should've been a B" I rolled my eyes and turned to look at him. "Scotty, this is baseball, don't think, just have fun!" I explained. "Your sister's right, Smalls" Benny agreed.

I began to think up a plan to try and help Scotty, when I finally got it. "Hey give me your bat" I said to Benny, coming off more forward than I'd hoped. "What?" He asked. "Your bat" I said once more. "Why?" He asked with a confused smile. "I have a plan"

Luckily, he was reluctant enough to give me the bat. "Gimme a sec with my brother, I'll be there" I said, Benny shrugged and ran back to home. "Alright Scotty listen, this is your chance" he was about to protest but I stopped him, "and there ain't gonna be no buts about it!" I said, he nodded, "okay"

"Alright, I want you to stand in center like you just did alright?" He nodded, "All I want you to do, is stand there, and hold that mitt up in the air, and I'll do the rest, think you can do that?" I asked, demonstrating what he should do, he nodded. "Good" I said beginning to run to home.

"Oh! And one more thing!" I said making him turn to look at me, "when you throw the ball.. bring your arm up, to about here... and just let go" I said once again demonstrating what he should do, "Got it" he said. I smiled, nodded and ran towards home, "I sure hope you do..." I whispered to myself.