Part 7: celebration

Your POV:

Later that night, the same night we had won our game against Philips and his group of goons, we decided to celebrate by going to the county fair, which I felt was right on the money for the high we'd been feeling all day.

Scotty and I arrived to the fair seeing the rest of the boys at the entrance waiting for us. "Sorry we're late again guys" Scotty said. "Hey don't sweat it" Benny said, "Hey guys! It's all on me tonight!" He announced.

"Oh, Benny you really don't have to do that, I can get Scotty and I" I protested, "No no no, you won us the game (Y/n) it's the least I can do" he said giving me that signature smile. "Alright fine, have it your way, Benny Boy" I said smiling at him, making him laugh a bit.

We walked into the fair where all the lights were shining and the sound of distant screams could be heard and the whoosh of the rides were all around us, I'd really never felt more alive. "Wait!" Bertram yelled, "I almost forgot!" He announced digging in his pocket, I stopped, very confused.

He then pulled out a white bag, my smile faded, recognizing it immediately, "Chaw!! I've been saving it for a good time!" He said showing it off. "What is it?" Scotty asked, "Big Chief!" Bertram said, smelling the package of tobacco in his hand, "the best!"

"Gee Smalls, I'm surprised you know who The Babe is!" Ham teased which made the group begin to laugh. "It's plug... wad.. chewing tobacco!!"

"What do you do with it?" Scotty asked. There was an awkward silence, "you're killing me, Smalls!" Ham said, pulling out a big wad of tobacco and shoving it into his mouth, "ya chew it of course!"

"Yeah.. I think Scotty and I are gonna pass on that" I said, trying to pull Scotty away from Ham, "Aww come on don't be a baby! Everyone's doing it!" He yelled passing it to everyone, the bag got to Benny, who glanced over at me then handed the bag back to Ham, "Not tonight man" he said.

"Suit yourself" Ham shrugged, I gave Benny a smile, and to my surprise, he smiled back, which made my cheeks flush. I looked back at Scotty, who is just realized had the bag in his hand, I immediately grabbed it from him, "I said no Scotty!" I yelled at him.

"Oh come on, (Y/n)" he whined, trying to get the bag back, "Look Scotty, I know what this shit does to you and I don't want you to go down this path... besides, what's your mother going to think when you-" I was cut off by Ham.

"Hey, take it easy, it'll be fine" he said practically snatching the bag from my hand, and handed it to Scotty, who took a big chunk out of the bag and shoved it into his mouth, "Scotty I'm tellin ya-" I was cut off again, "I'll make sure he's good, don't worry about it, (Y/n)" Ham explained.

"Let's ride!!" Bertram yelled, getting the rest of the boys riled up as they ran towards the same ride together, leaving me and Benny, I sighed and shook my head.

Trying to shake away the memory...

"Eat it!! I said eat it ya idiot!!" Yelled my so called 'friend', this was a time when I still lived in the city, when things weren't so great. I didn't want to be a loser... I wanted to fit in like all the rest.

I chewed it up.. it tasted horrible but I just chewed through it. I also didn't realize you're supposed to spit it out after you've chewed it, although there was no point since I spit it out into a nearby trashcan.