Chapter Five: Future Is Made of Virtual Reality

Aria's muscles ached from hours of hunching over the messy crime scene, trying to document and collect evidence. Her mind was foggy, unable to process any more details. While the tasks on their own were quite mundane given her training and experience, the technology used in this age was a hindrance rather than a help. The tablet Epson had given her was a nightmare; its interface was unresponsive and frustrating. Aria spent nearly an hour trying to figure out how to take photos and record her observations, her patience fraying with every wasted moment.

She then spent another hour trying to learn how to collect evidence using the storage and assortment box, which, according to Epson, was rarely used by the Enforcement unit. Standard tamper-proof evidence bags were no longer a thing, apparently.

Her frustrations only deepened when Epson proved to be more of a hindrance than a help. He dropped the storage box several times and tripped over chairs. At first, Aria dismissed it as mere clumsiness, but when she saw the photos Epson had taken of the victim's body and the surrounding scene, she realized something was off.

"Epson, how do you usually process a crime scene?" she asked, her voice laced with irritation.

"The usual method by which a crime scene is documented is by downloading the victim's consciousness and making the necessary inquiries of the victim to determine who committed the crime," Epson replied, his tone robotic and unfeeling. Aria started to recognize this voice as Epson's "database" mode. It still made her uncomfortable, but she was starting to get used to talking to a person one moment and a real-life version of Alexa or Siri the next.

Aria gritted her teeth, trying not to show her frustration. "What if that doesn't provide enough information?"

"In such cases, the Disposal unit will see if DNA and chemical analysis can render possible information about the crime," Epson replied, his stare was penetrating and unblinking.

It looked like they were doing the job of the Disposal unit, which probably explained why Epson was neither very useful nor enthused about their current enterprise. Aria sighed. "Okay, so what if that doesn't reveal any information?"

"Then a crime remains unsolved," Epson said, a hint of regret creeping into his voice.

"What does the Disposal unit do exactly? Run analysis and get rid of the body? Do they analyze the crime scene like we did today?"

"No, their function is limited to analytic testing of the body and restoration of the site," Epson replied, his voice sounded human again.

"Well, I'm done here, unless there is anything else you need to do for the investigation, we can head back to the station. Will you be calling the Disposal unit then?"

She turned towards the door, ready to leave, but stopped when she realized that Epson wasn't following her. He lingered by the victim's body, his eyes fixed on it as though lost in thought.

"I want to be honest with you, Aria," he paused for a moment, his voice low and hushed. "I don't believe in your methods, but I hope for your sake and the sake of the victim they will have a positive outcome."

Epson's words were laced with a sense of foreboding that made Aria uneasy.

"What do you mean by that? Was I brought back to solve this one crime?" she asked, hoping for some clarity about her mission in this unfamiliar world.

But Epson brushed past her without a word, leaving Aria standing there with a sinking feeling in her gut. Aria's intuition told her that she should heed Epson's warning and start making alternate plans for escape if the investigation didn't go as planned, but where could she go? She still knew so little about this world, and her only option was to follow the directive given to her.