Chapter 8

And the Hokage had been true to her word. The suspension had been lifted on the same day that he had submitted the report, and he had been assigned the next day.

Mmmm maybe another look.

Holding his med pack, fingers traced the items as he took a tally of stock and equipment. Last were his tweezers, standard-issue steel in contrast to the vibrant pink of hers.

Don't think about it.

Shoving it in with force, he felt he had dislodged something confirmed by a tiny rattle on the floor. Scooping it up he stared at it before he realized what it was - Anko's necklace.

Crap.

Tsunade had given it to him for safekeeping, but with the distractions that raged he had genuinely forgotten to return it to Anko during the mission. Kakashi was late enough as it was, there was no time for a detour, so he left it on his bedside table.

I'll give it to her when I get back...

Days bled into weeks, as Kakashi took one mission after another with no prejudice. If anyone wondered why a jonin was being dispatched on D-rank it certainly hadn't been voiced to him. Mission report standards were slipping, he had slid it in to a pile awaiting processing before anyone had noticed.

"Kakashi!" Anko was bouncing over to him, half-way down the steps taking them three at a time.

"Hey," catching her, just before she overshot.

"Have you just got back?"

"Yeah, first mission and made it all the way to that bar over there," Anko gestured, with a smirk "until I remembered that I hadn't submitted my report."

Kakashi laughed at her guilty expression as she cowered behind her hand.

"How's your wrist?" Rotating her hand in lazy circles until she playfully flipped him her middle finger.

"Great," she said, giggling. "Working just fine."

I see the most important functions are operational again.

"How's Pakkun?"

"Pakkun?" Kakashi asked, surprised. "Yeah, he's fine."

"And your ...clone?"

That dick?

"Yeah, fine " Kakashi mumbled, as an awkward silence filled the air.

"You should come back to mine," Anko said, with an little, enticing pout. "Come get your sweater - it's just cluttering up my apartment." Of course her familiar brand of sweetness chased by a sting.

In truth, he didn't get two shits about the sweater but, if she hadn't washed it?

"Tempting."

Home - an empty fridge, some dead house plants and a pile of junk mail.

A trigger much? Not a good call, Hatake.

Reaching for another excuse, Kakashi found that he had stopped when she put an arm round him, burying her face into his flak jacket.

"How long were you at the bar?"

"Dunno," she slurred. "Midday? Why - what's the time now?"

Kakashi sighed, looking longingly at the direction of his apartment.

"6 o'clock Anko," Kakashi said, resolutely ignoring his instincts. "Come on, I'll walk you home."

After standing at her door, watching fumble for the lock he gently eased the keys from her hand to let them in. Opposite the entrance was her bedroom, the door ajar, he averted his gaze.