Chapter Twenty-Seven

Dani was restless. She was slowly getting used to Star's Hollow, but the wild part of her was still very much alive. So, while her sister was entertaining Richard who had come to Star's Hollow for the day, she was on the bus to Brooklyn, to see her dad for the day and party with Tammy for the night.

*Ten minutes earlier*

"You don't really have to go." Jess repeated for the fifth time as they waited for the bus to arrive.

"I know, but I want to." Dani said for the fifth time.

"We can have a party here."

"You hate parties."

"Yeah, well.." Jess trailed off with a groan. "Can't I come with you?"

"No. A) My dad hates you and B) you hate parties." Dani said, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"I'll miss you." He whispered tentatively.

"I'll miss you too." She smiled. "Here's my bus."

"Bye Blue eyes." He waved.

"Bye Brown eyes, I'll see you tomorrow!" She waved, disappearing on the bus and leaving him.

*Back to present*

She was sat next to a sweet old lady who was very deaf and offering her mints every ten minutes. Dani couldn't say no, even though she hated mints and now had a pile of them in her pocket. She could never fall asleep on the bus anyway, so spent the entire time accepting the mints and staring out the window at the scenery that whizzed past. She was glad to be going back to Boston, but she was just surprised that Lorelai suggested it.

***

Back in Star's hollow, Lorelai was taking full advantage of Dani's absence. She had decided to take up Chris's idea of turning the garage into a bedroom for Dani and so she had spent the entire morning clearing it out with the help of Luke and Jess. She had asked Chris to send her some stuff from Dani's room and the boxes had arrived last week, primarily full of posters and pictures. She brought a bed and some other furniture to use as well, the idea of her girl finally living at home was making her excited.

Jess only agreed to help because he knew how happy it would make Dani and Luke was the first to suggest getting Dani to leave for the day. It had been surprisingly fast work with surprisingly few arguments and all the walls had been painted and the furniture constructed when Richard arrived.

"Hi Dad." Lorelai smiled, putting the blue paint down and leaving Luke and Jess to finish the last little touch-ups.

"Good morning." Richard answered, surveying the garage interestedly.

Lorelai asked, "Did you have any trouble getting here?"

"Not at all, the directions were fine. What is going on here?" He asked, gesturing to the bed on the lawn and the freshly painted garage.

"Well, Dani's going to be living her more permanently so we decided to convert the garage into a bedroom for her. You remember Luke, don't you Dad?" She asked. Richard just nodded, "Yeah and this is his nephew Jess."

Richard nodded again at Jess who stared for a minute before turning back to the wall, painting carefully.

"Well, we were doing this all day, but I can show you around town if you would prefer-" Lorelai started.

"Oh, no, don't let me stop you. In fact, I'll help. What can I do?"

***

Chris was waiting nervously for the bus to arrive. He didn't know whether Lorelai had told Dani about the new arrangement and he wasn't sure how Dani was going to be treating him. He was expecting a big outburst of loud curses before being the victim to steely glares and silent treatment, but Dani walked up to him with a big smile, giving him a hug.