Chapter Fourteen

Dani had been quieter since her dad left, she spent most of her time in her and Rory's room, studying or writing. She had hour-long phone calls with Jess, sat up on the porch or in her room just chatting about life, she really missed him now.

"Hey Dani, I'm going to Luke's do you want to come?" Lorelai poked her head around the corner to see Dani on the phone again. "You need to get out, hun, you've been stuck inside for a week now."

Dani nodded and said to Jess, "Hey, I gotta go Jess."

"Alright love, I'll call you later."

"M'kay. Bye brown eyes."

"Bye blue eyes, love you." He smiled.

"Love you." She whispered, smiling. She then stood up, "Let me just grab my jacket."

"Alright." Lorelai nodded, heading out and letting Dani grab her coat and catch up with her.

They walked to Luke's in a an awkward silence, full of unsaid words and compressed feelings. As they were walking past the town center, a massive star nearly fell on the silent pair, shocking them. Lorelai let out a shout of surprise while Dani nearly bit her tongue in half to stop herself from swearing.

"I'm sorry!" The man who was working there said, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." Lorelai answered, still shocked.

"Man, that almost never happens!" The man said.

"Really?" Dani smiled sarcastically, "How about that."

They continued to Luke's, slipping back in to silence as they did so. They went over to the counter, Dani scuffing her boots on the floor.

"We were almost crushed by a papier mache star. How's your day?" Lorelai fake-smiled.

"Well, it's looking pretty good now." Luke answered.

"Coffee please, no shot of cynicism." Lorelai ordered. "What do you want?" She turned to Dani.

"Coffee." Dani muttered, getting out a pen and starting to write.

"You need to eat. I know you didn't have breakfast, you were on the phone the whole time."

"M'not hungry." Dani said making Lorelai sigh and turn back to Luke.

"So, why so cheery?" Luke asked sarcastically.

"I don't know. I'm just in a mood. I don't know why." Lorelai huffed.

"But there's no particular reason for this mood?" Luke asked.

"No."

"Uh huh."

"You don't believe me?" Lorelai asked.

"No, I believe you. If you say there's no reason for the mood, then there's no reason for the mood. You're simply nuts." Luke shrugged, getting the coffee.

"Or bipolar, that's very popular nowadays." Lorelai suggested. Dani overheard Miss Patty and Taylor arguing over the festival they were organizing. To be honest, Dani didn't even know what it was about. "Ugh, can nobody talk about anything else but this stupid festival?" She paused, "That came out a lot louder then it was supposed to, didn't it?"

"Yup." Luke nodded.

"Yup." Lorelai repeated. Dani rolled her eyes, focusing on her arm.

"This festival is commemorating the founding of our town, young lady." Taylor scolded her, offended.

"I know Taylor. I'm sorry." Lorelai apologized.

"She's bipolar." Luke explained.

Miss Patty gasped, "Really? But you're so young."