Chapter Six

Dani had convinced Rory and Lorelai to let her stay home for Friday night dinner, claiming she had a lot of homework to catch up on. In reality she ordered pizza and called Tammy, chatting for the whole evening on the phone. 

"So, Sun's Hollow sounds pretty boring." Tammy giggled over the phone. 

"Star's Hollow, Tam, you dumbass. And it's not too bad, the people are okay and there's a great diner. You remember Jess, right?" 

"How could I forget your New York man?" Tammy laughed. 

"His uncle actually owns the diner." Dani explained, rolling her eyes at Tammy's suggestive tone. 

"Huh, small world. Anyway babes, do you have your baby back?" Tammy asked. 

"No, the repairs are taking ages because of your stupid ideas." Dani pouted at the thought of her broken motorbike. 

"Hey, I didn't think of all the ideas." Tammy defended. 

"Uh, do you remember the sheep?" 

"Okay so the sheep was my fault but I blame you for everything else." 

"That seems fair." Dani laughed. 

                                                                                       *** 

"Mom, I want to talk to you for a minute and Rory, why don't you go and say goodbye to Grandpa." Lorelai smiled and Rory who nodded and left the room. 

"Should I sit down?" Emily asked. 

"Yes but not there, okay? We got a post it on that and we want to keep it nice." Lorelai joked, referring to the previous conversation. 

"It must be very exhausting to be you." Emily sighed, rolling her eyes as she sat down. 

"Mom, Rory and Dani's birthday is next Friday." Lorelai explained. 

"I know that, Lorelai." 

"I was thinking we could push the dinner to Saturday." Lorelai crossed her fingers behind her back. 

"What are you going to do on Friday?" 

"Oh, I don't know." 

"Well perfect. You'll come here and we'll have a little party." Emily smiled, pleased with herself. 

 "I was just hoping we could do it another night." Lorelai persisted. 

 "Well why come on another night when her birthday falls on the exact night that you do come here." 

 "Saturday's a pretty good night, Mom."

"Not as good as Friday." Emily smiled thinly. 

"Pretty damn close."

 "Not from where I'm standing." 

"Well, move then." Lorelai laughed, but it was humorless. 

 "I'm sorry. Friday nights are my nights. That's what we agreed on when you borrowed money for her school. The rules haven't changed." Emily reminded her daughter, standing up. 

 "Mom, I didn't intend for this loan to become a constant source of blackmail, OK? Now this is my kids' birthday and they will have their party at home on Friday and that's it? End of story." Lorelai explained, storming out. 

*** 

"How do you guys feel about having two parties this year?" Lorelai asked her daughters as they sat on the sofa eating ice cream and pop tarts.