Chapter Seventeen

"Okay, French toast with bacon crispy. Bread and chocolate spread, Pancakes, two eggs over easy." Luke recited, placing the orders in front of the three girls. Dani smiled and took a bite of the bread, making Rory giggle. 

"Oh." Lorelai pouted, disappointed.  

"What?" Luke asked, confused. 

Lorelai explained, "You put the eggs on top of the pancakes." 

"Oops." Rory said.  

"What?"

"Yeah, well, it's like two eyes staring at me. See, I can't eat it like this." Lorelai pointed out. 

 "Hence the oops." Dani added. She had become used to her mother's weird habits by now. 

 "What are you talking about? You always order the same thing." Luke frowned, not getting it. 

"Yeah, but you usually put the eggs on the side so that my breakfast is not ogling me." Lorelai complained, staring back at the food. 

"It's the same food." Luke sighed. 

"Hmm, yeah, I need the eggs put on the side." Lorelai smiled at him. 

"You want a brand new plate." Luke sighed.  

"Yes." Lorelai grinned happily. 

"How about if I take this plate in the back, I take the eggs off the pancakes, I put the same eggs on the side and bring the plate back out. What happens then?"

"Then I can eat my breakfast." Lorelai nodded in confirmation. 

"It's the same food just a different configuration." Luke pointed out unhelpfully.  

"I won't know that."

"I'm gonna take the plate in the back." Luke picked up the plate, sighing once again. 

"Hey, at least you don't have to live with her!" Dani called out to him as he disappeared in the back. 

"So what time does the judgmental express arrive?" Lorelai asked Rory.  

"Grandma gets here at noon." Rory replied. Emily was coming to Star's Hollow for some obscure reason that Dani hadn't listened to. 

"Hmm." Dani hummed unhappily. 

"Are you sure you won't do lunch?" Rory asked them both. Dani shook her head violently. 

Lorelai shook her head as well, "Oh no, I can't, lunch is bad." 

Rachel walked over to the table, smiling. Dani bit back the urge to flip her off and instead drank her coffee. 

 "Lorelai, you're here. Good. Don't move." She said before disappearing again. 

 "I won't." 

"What are you doing at lunch?" Rory asked her mother.  

"Oh, I have very important things to do." Lorelai said vaguely. 

 "Like what?" Rory asked, unimpressed at her mother's behavior. 

 Lorelai grinned, "Well, at noon I have to not have lunch with my mother." 

"Very nice." Dani nodded, but scowled as Rachel walked back with a pile of photos.  

"So I'm developing my pictures from the Firelight Festival. Some amazing stuff. And I'm thinking maybe there's a book here, faces of small town America. . ." She explained, showing them. 

 "Ah, you should feel safe, you don't live near these people." Lorelai nodded wisely. 

"Bunch of fuckin' crackheads, all of them." Dani muttered, earning death stares from Rory and Lorelai.