Chapter Sixteen

It had been a week. Since the fight between Dani and Rory, since the breakup. Dani had come home and was sleeping in the same room as Rory. They were being civil, and Rory tried to apologize but Dani wouldn't let her. She wouldn't let anyone talk about it, she wouldn't let anyone mention how much of her life she had spilled to them. But it would be fine. Of course it would be fine.

Dani treasured her Friday nights as much as Lorelai hated them, she loved having the house to herself. She ordered pizza and took it to the porch roof, eating the greasy goodness under the stars. She heard the Jeep pull up and she clambered in through the window, tripping over everything as she did so. However difficult she made it seem, she got downstairs in one piece, flopping on the sofa as they walked in.

"Hey Dan." Lorelai called, "Where are you?"

"Here!" Dani yelled, flicking through a magazine.

"Hey, nice evening?" Lorelai asked, curling up next to her daughter. Rory went to her room to do homework like she always did.

"Mmh. You?"

"It was fine. Your great-grandma is coming to stay, so you'll get to meet Lorelai the first." Lorelai smiled.

"Oh, lucky me!" Dani cheered sarcastically, "Another Gilmore to ignore me and call me a disappointment!"

"Oh, hun, they love you really." Lorelai pouted.

"I doubt they even know my middle name. But it's fine, I don't need them." Dani shrugged, turning the page of the magazine.

"Dani, I want to talk to you, about what happened-" Lorelai started.

"No." Dani cut her off, "I'm fine Mom, nothing happened."

"Yes, it did, Dani and I think we need to talk about it." Lorelai sat up straight.

"And I think you should leave it, like I've asked you too only about five times!" Dani snapped, before sighing, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have."

"It's fine Dan, but can we just talk? Please?" Lorelai asked, concerned about how Dani was trying to run from it.

"Can we just forget about it? I said somethings I didn't mean to and that's all. That's all it'll ever be so if we just leave it, it'll be fine. I'm going out, get some air." Dani stood up.

"Where?"

"I'll be in town. I promise." Dani let a small smile show before she grabbed a jacket and left, shutting the door behind her. Dani considered going to Luke's but she knew that Rachel would be there and she honestly just didn't like her. So she wandered to the only place apart from the porch roof that was remotely peaceful in the town. She went to the bridge.

Dani loved the dark. She loved that she could barely see in front of her, and that the only lights were from the stars. She loved that she could hide and she loved the fact that she was alone, wandering down the streets at night. Dani preferred the moon over the sun, midnight to midday and the dark to the light. Her and her dad would stay up just to see the stars, not that you could see many in Boston.

She wandered back slowly, relishing the darkness as she did so. Dani was happy, but she knew that it wouldn't last for very long.

***

"Come on, let's go." Lorelai sighed, getting impatient. They were getting ready to got to Friday night dinner and because Lorelai 1st would be there, Dani was being dragged along as well.

"Relax, I'm almost ready." Rory reassured her mother.

"Yeah, but Dani isn't and we're gonna be late." Lorelai protested.