Chapter Thirteen

Taylor and Dani had a mutual hating of each other and it increased when Taylor made a comment about motorbikes. Dani loved bikes and jumped at the opportunity to defend them but she stopped when she heard the motorbike come closer. She had been able to recognize the sound of her father's motorbike since she was four and he let her go on it for the first time. Since then, recognizing the sound was a way to get rid of the boys she invited round before he pulled up outside or knowing if it was him coming to pick her up from after-school detention. So when the 2000 Indian, 80 horsepower, 5 speed close ratio Andrews transmission pulled up outside the market, where Lorelai, Rory and Dani were walking, Dani immediately knew it was her father.

"Hey." The man said, and Dani all but screamed and ran towards him, shocking Lorelai and Rory. "Miss me Blue?" Christopher chuckled, taking his helmet off and hugging his daughter tight.

"Not at all, I'm glad to see the bike." She answered, voice muffled by his shoulder.

"Aw, glad to see you too." He smiled as she pulled away.

"Christopher." Lorelai said simply, surprised. Rory just stood there. She hadn't had the best relationship with her father, in fact she wasn't sure they'd ever actually had a proper conversation but she knew that Dani and Lorelai had been the same so she was hoping that the two could become closer.

"Hey Dad." She finally said.

"Hi." Chris smiled before turning back to Dani, "Why is that man staring at me?"

"Oh, that annoying man? He's the most fucking annoying man in the town, and he hates bikes." Dani huffed.

"Blasphemy!" Chris exclaimed, just as Lorelai scolded Dani for swearing.

"I know, so when can I go for a ride?" Dani rocked on her heels.

"How about you go now, and I can talk to Lor and Rory?" Chris suggested, handing her the helmet. She grinned and hugged him again.

"I've missed you Dad." She whispered.
"I missed you too Dan." He said and she pulled away, putting the helmet on and getting on the bike.

"Christopher! You can't let her ride that on her own!" Lorelai protested but Dani was already gone.

"Why? She has her own." Christopher shrugged, "Anyway, I was on business in Connecticut so I thought I'd stop off here on my way through, surprise you. Are you surprised?"

"Oh, you could knock us over with the teeniest feather." Rory mumbled, getting jealous of Dani and Chris's close bond.

"So where can I find some place round here to stay?" Chris asked.

"Stay? You're staying?" Lorelai asked with wide eyes.

"For a couple days yeah, I'm sorry to leave Dani with you longer than we arranged, I know how she can be." Chris laughed.

"Yeah, well you're hardly stopping her!" Lorelai scoffed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Christopher frowned.

"You let her run away at night and ride motorbikes and drink. You're her father not her best friend!" Lorelai said, suddenly feeling protective.

"Lorelai, I'm not getting into this now, especially not in the middle of the street. Is there anywhere I can go to stay for tonight?" Christopher repeated.

"You can stay with us." Rory suggested.

"Rory-" Lorelai started to say.

"It's fine, Ror, I don't think its-"