Chapter 9

"Perfect."

Gray shot Luci– Namjoon an arrogant look. As if he couldn't despise her anymore than he already did, which was quickly growing with every passing second.

He shrugged the thought aside. Remiel had firmly agreed to the plan. All that was left was the matter of letting the angel go, presenting another problem in itself, because Namjoon would have to rely on their friendship, what little trust they had left between them, in hopes that Remiel wouldn't betray him once more when he returned to Heaven.

It would be done blindly. Namjoon had nothing to provide any certainty that Remiel wouldn't. If anything, there was more likelihood that he would tell God.

There was a part of him, however, fogging his mind. Maybe it was all these new things he was feeling. They must be partial to blame.

Though his fingers fidgeted, Namjoon removed the imprisonment sigil from the door. It glowed for a moment before the creamy paint beneath reappeared unscathed.

Namjoon glimpsed at Remiel. No words exchanged. Just a shared glimpse of understanding. Then, the angel dematerialized, leaving Namjoon and her alone. Again.

"So," she started, taking a step forward to stand beside him, "what now?"

With an exasperated sigh, Namjoon didn't spare the girl a glance. He turned away and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"We wait."

She didn't miss a beat. "How boring."

"Another word, and you won't be speaking until he returns."

Namjoon eyed her threateningly, lips pulled into a deep frown, but the scowl did nothing to stop her from talking.

"I'm just saying. It could be days – weeks even – before he comes back, and you're just going to sit here? This is the most controversial satanic cult I've ever heard of. What about all the shrines made of bones and the cursing of your enemies?"

"Don't give me ideas," Namjoon said coldly, cutting her rambling short. "You're free to leave whenever you'd like."

She scoffed haughtily. "There's no guarantee you'll be here when I get back."

Through his steely stare, he motioned at all the sigils lined in his blood spread across the walls of the hotel room.

"Are you that daft not to realize what any of these symbols mean?"

Gray just blinked.

Of course she didn't. She was only human after all, but a brief evaluation of all that happened surely would've lead her to the correct assumption. How could she be so close to the truth and yet so dense?

After a minute of silence, Namjoon shook his head disapprovingly.

"These are all here for my protection."

Her gaze traveled the expanse of every wall, seeming oddly impressed. "Protect you from... God?"

She took his silence as an agreement. "These things. Can they be put on any surface?"

"Yes."

Licking her lips in thought, she drew her eyes back on Namjoon. "Why don't you put them on yourself?"

Namjoon quirked an eyebrow at her suggestion. "Yes, let me walk around in public with blood all over my body. I'm sure I won't receive any strange looks."

As he spoke, he came to a sudden realization.

"But, there is way to conceal myself. The method to do so can extenuate my concern at staying hidden, however, it is painful." He hummed keenly. "If I were to do it, I'd be able to continue my mission and shorten my time up here."