Chapter 7

"You should've known better than to involve a human when you're summoning an angel as powerful as I am." Remiel's gaze wavered on Gray with a sigh. Despite the condescending words, it resonated more in disappointment.

Lucifer did know. He knew it the moment he allowed her to stay, but with his impending doom he chose to be ignorant. Whether the woman went blind or insane, it would be worth it in the end.

He couldn't say he was surprised by the turn of events. The predicament, however, just created more problems.

"It was her choice." Already indignant at her presence and pestering questions, Lucifer became all the more frustrated.

The bigger part of him wanted to leave her in that state. The lesser, the human side, told him otherwise. Those damn moral obligations had him second guessing himself. If he had his grace, he wouldn't have hesitated to get rid of her entirely. Maybe after this was all over, when he destroyed the ledger, he would come back and clean up the mess properly.

Remiel breathed out a laugh. "I'm surprised she didn't leave after seeing all these sigils."

Lucifer hummed in agreement halfheartedly.

"I'd leave too, if it wasn't for the sigil on the door."

"It had to be done. I need you to help me, though I'd prefer it if you agreed to do it willingly." Standing up as straight as possible, Lucifer refused to show just how weak he was to Remiel.

Back before he was casted out, before he was the Devil, Lucifer and Remiel had been close. Like all best friends, they basically did everything together. They practiced spells, harnessing their birthright, studied life and its nature, while still finding the time to get in trouble amongst it all.

That all ended when Remiel betrayed Lucifer, choosing a path of righteousness over their friendship. The consequence led one to remain in Heaven and the other forced into Hell.

Seperated, things between them shifted. Each were loyal to different hierarchies. Remiel obeyed God. Lucifer found comfort in the darkness he had been forbidden to indulge in. Somewhere in the middle, when Remiel wasn't on such a tight leash, he snuck into Hell.

They learned early on that though their relationship was strained, neither of them could live without the other. The bond they created when they were young was formidable, unbreakable. One way or another, they always found their way to each other. They were family after all.

The current circumstance didn't change that, but Lucifer didn't want to risk failure, and so the sigil on the door that trapped Remiel inside would act more as a threat if he didn't agree to help.

Remiel's eyes darkened just a fraction, knowing well what the consequence would be if he denied Lucifer's request. "That sigil won't hold me forever."

"Either help return my grace or this hotel room will become your new living quarters."

"How can you continue to be selfish?" Remiel paused curtly. "I jeopardize everything to visit you, and now you're asking me to do more? When will this end, Lucifer?"

Out of the two, only one would ever involuntarily be vulnerable. Unsurprisingly, that person wasn't Remiel. This wasn't him trying to fix eons of suppressed conflict. He was stalling, he was searching for an escape.

Lucifer pursed his lips into a fine line, eyes narrowing in a cat-like grimace. "It's not selfish to want to live."

"Um, I hate to interrupt. This seems really personal, but I am selfish, and I would like to know why the fuck I can't see."

At the sudden outburst, Lucifer and Remiel jerked their heads toward her, who's vision was still clouded. Like with most people who witnessed an angel at full power, she was unable to discern even the slightest change in light. She couldn't see a thing from where she was still standing since Remiel had been summoned.