Chapter 4

Two days turned into three. Having exhausted himself and his powers, Lucifer spent more time sleeping and regaining his strength. He hadn't moved much from where he lay.

After the fiasco he had with the angels, he hurried to find a place where he could rest away from his father's watchful eye. He had put sigils on every wall, including the floor and ceiling, as well as the windows in the hotel room he was staying in.

Once he had finished drawing the symbols that kept him hidden from God and his soldiers, Lucifer didn't even make it to the bed. He had become so dizzy, so lightheaded, that he fell to the floor and slept. He hadn't woken up until the third day.

The sunlight peeked through the curtains and casted a gleam over his eyes. They snapped open at the sudden warmth. Everything else was frigid. His arms, legs, every part of his body was frozen in place. It took a few minutes for Lucifer to move, and when he did, he was arthritic from having laid on the floor for too long. The suit certainly didn't help.

Slowly, he sat up, pulling a leg to his body to rest an arm on his knee. He pressed a hand over his eyes with a sigh and tried to wipe how weary he was away, but it wasn't that simple. He still felt tired.

Standing up on his own was another fest entirely. It felt like hours before he got on his feet, his legs wobbly underneath the weight of his torso.

Lucifer was not a slender man. He was taut with muscles, and to carry himself took a lot more effort. A step towards the bed almost had him stumble back onto the floor, so he proceeded with caution.

When his leg hit the edge of the mattress Lucifer carefully sat down. He loosened the tie around his neck before running his fingers through his dark hair.

"Shit," he mumbled. Visiting Earth always seemed to make him more human. At least, he swore it did. He didn't need water or food, but his throat was dry, like he had spent weeks in the desert inhaling sand, and his stomach ached in hunger.

Gathering his thoughts, he looked at the bedside table where the phone and a menu for takeout was. He knew he shouldn't use his powers, but getting up to reach them or sliding across the bed would probably take more out of him. It was only a small motion of his finger. Surely, he'd be okay.

He lifted a hand, bringing both items to him instead. There was a brief second where his head throbbed though it disappeared the moment the phone and menu were beside him on the comforter.

A call to some fried chicken restaurant and a few persuasive, and also very threatening, remarks later, Lucifer had ordered dinner. Actually, he didn't really know what time is was, but the setting sun had woken him up, so it must be close enough. Didn't matter too much to him as all he could focus on was getting back the energy drained from each pore on his body.

In order to do what he came here to do, he needed his full strength. Anything less would only put him in danger. God was capable of so much, and Lucifer wasn't in the mood to tempt fate more than he already had.

His father had thrown him out of Heaven. There was no telling what he would do next when Lucifer got in his way. He was going to great lengths to keep him out, to keep him from getting that ledger. It was the only significant thing left of the pharmaceutical company, and like before, Lucifer had to destroy it. He hadn't done it the first time he was here, and until now, he hadn't really thought much about it. He had gotten rid of all the employees and investors through whatever means was necessary. No one would be foolish enough to come back. Well, the ones that were alive anyway.

What truly bothered Lucifer was that God had been the one who told him to do away with Skylight. It didn't make sense why his father would suddenly stop him from finishing the job. Just what was his father planning?

Along with the hunger pain, there was an unsettling feeling in the pit of his stomach. It didn't sit right with him, being in the dark.

He had spent so much time in the shadows, lingering and tempting anyone who would heed his sins, but somehow, this darkness felt different. He didn't know what was hiding in it.

There was a knock at the door. Still feeling too weak to physically answer and open it himself, Lucifer titled his head to one side and did it from where he sat. The door was ajar.

"Come in," he said. His voice was so scratchy he coughed once the words came out. "Y-you can leave...the food...on the table...when you walk in."

With every pause, he hacked his lungs up until it was all he was doing. He became lightheaded once more, his vision hazy and a blur.

Lucifer didn't remember his last visit ever being so bad. Perhaps those angels did more than try to smite him. Maybe they knew they couldn't defeat him so they only weakened him instead.

Now that he thought about it, they gave up far more easily than they should've. It would also explain why he was hungry, thirsty, and coughing all at once.

Those winged bastards. They stole some of his grace.

He continued to force all the air out of his body, and unfortunately, he couldn't stop it. Tears brewed in the corner of his eyes.

Lucifer just sat there, struggling to catch his breath when whoever brought his food glided a hand across his shoulder blades. On instinct, he jerked away, which only made the situation worse. At that point, his face was probably turning purple from lack of oxygen. If he didn't inhale soon, he would pass out with a stranger in his hotel room, having no idea of what their intentions were.

"Sir, are you okay?"

That was such an idiotic thing to ask. Obviously, he wasn't.

"Get. Out." Each word was followed by another cough.

The damn stranger stayed where they were at. Lucifer couldn't even tell if it was a woman or a man, let alone whether they were a celestial being out to do God's bidding. They sooner they left, the better.

He pushed the stranger back as assertive as possible. "Out."

They stood, unmoving before relenting to his demand.

As he blacked out, Lucifer didn't hear the door close behind them.

a/n: shorter chapter this time around. next chapter is when the real fun begins ;) you show up. finally. there's one new vocabulary word here that needs some explaining. when it says that some of lucifer's grace was stolen essentially means some of his life source as an angel so he becomes more human as a result. that's why he's experiencing hunger, thirst, and coughing up a storm. if you have any other questions, ask and i'll answer. if you liked this update, please vote and comment!