Chapter 5

Lucifer didn't feel as weak when he slowly sat up, blinking what little exhaustion he had away. Somehow, despite his coughing fit, he felt a bit refreshed. He also was no longer restricted by the blazer or that damn tie, which were folded neatly at the foot of the bed.

Whoever had removed them, along with unbuttoning the collar of his shirt, did so while he was unconscious. He could rule out the worst of his suspicions as God couldn't find him due to all the sigils. Only a human could enter the room without having to remove one of them.

He wasn't particularly fond of the idea, but he preferred it to angels. At least humans weren't out to kill him, especially not the one who placed him underneath the blanket on the bed to make him as comfortable as possible.

Though he was grateful for it and not as worn-out, Lucifer was still just as hungry and thirsty. The dryness of his throat hadn't gone away in the slightest, and his stomach grumbled.

His attention zeroed in on the takeout. Right beside it was a folded piece of paper. It didn't take much to know that the delivery guy had been paid already or else they'd still be here waiting. He obviously didn't so someone else had, probably the same person who tended to him.

That was far more kind than any human Lucifer associated himself with. It wasn't unheard of, but the nice ones never gave into temptation so therefore he usually steered clear of them. They were bad for business.

But, to be sure, Lucifer checked his wallet, which had been taken out of the back pocket of his slacks and placed on the bedside table. Everything was still in it, and not a single card was out of place. If it had been used, Lucifer would've been able to detect the slightest change. There wasn't even a spec of dust. Whoever paid for his food, must have left the note on the table.

Feeling much better, his strength almost back to full capacity, he slid off the bed and read what was on it.

×××××××

Mr. Kim,

Due to your underlying condition, we paid for your dinner and obtained a new set of clothes for you. They can be found in the top drawer of the dresser in your room. If you have any concerns regarding your health, please visit Skylight Pharmacy if you are in need of medication. You will find a map to it below.

The food and clothes will be included in your charges when you checkout, as well as for the damages done to the room.

Sincerely,
Hotel Management

×××××××

With the note in his hand, Lucifer searched for the dresser. Anything was better than the suit he had been wearing up until then. In a compact room, it didn't take long for him to find the stygian furniture on the opposite side of the room, placed between two of the windows.

He tossed the paper back on the table and beelined to the dresser, where he swiftly slid the top drawer open. Inside, there was a basic white tee and black pants. It wasn't sweats but it would have to do.

Without any hesitation, he unbuttoned his shirt the rest of the way and let it fall to the floor. His slacks followed soon after. It was liberating to finally be free of the entire suit. Oddly, it felt like he could breathe a whole lot better too, but he had no sense of the current time or how long he had been out.

When he went back to the table, after tugging on the new clothing, the food was still relatively warm, so he hadn't wasted another day resting.

Three days was far too long as it was. He should've been back to Hell by now if things had gone according to plan.