Chapter 8 - Little Mouse

Alice's shift was slowly coming to an end. She had managed not to glance back to their table, not even once. Though, she was practically itching to do so. She wanted to see him, and see if he, too, felt the need to watch her.

She shook her head. She couldn't afford to see any man romantically. It wasn't the right time. She needed to focus solely on her mother. No time for messing around or getting her heart broken.

Alice was lost in thought currently cleaning the bar and she looked around to see if she was needed anywhere.

She caught glimpse of Marco ushering her over again. She frowned, annoyed, before setting down the spray cleaner bottle and towel and trudged to them reluctantly.

Marco should have told her about the man. Anything would be better than staying silent and acting sneaky.

He should have said they knew each other. That he would be coming over. But he chose not to, and all of this had turned awkward very quickly. She didn't know how she was supposed to react.

Alice reached them but tried not to peek at the stranger haunting her thoughts. She had her attention solely on Marco as she fiddled her thumbs nervously behind her back.

"Alice, I should have done this earlier, but later is better than never..right? I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Angelo Romano." He said awkwardly and quite nervously, gesturing to the other man. "Have known him for years, but he lived in Europe for some time. So you guys never got the chance to meet."

She curiously turned to the man, Angelo.
His name suited him. His beauty could definitely be mistaken for that of an angel. But, were he an angel, Alice decided he would be a fallen one. His ominous aura was overwhelming.

There was just something off about him. Something screaming at her that she should get away.

"Piacere, bambola." Angelo stated as he leaned his elbow on the table, and extended his other arm for a shake.
(Pleased to meet you, doll.)

She carefully placed her hand in his. Part of her was irritated at Marco for putting her through this, but she felt almost relieved to finally put a name to the face.

Him speaking in this language that she didn't recognize was also messing with her head.

"Hello, I'm Alice. Alice White. I'm really sorry about the other day." She spoke with some hesitation, stretching her arm and placing her palm in his.

Angelo's hand tightly closed around hers in a a firm grip, her fingers almost aching.

"No need." He said and pulled at her hand, forcing her to bend at the waist and giving himself the opportunity to breathe the words he ment to in her ear, cheek to cheek, his voice reaching only her.

"At least, I got to see how you will be on your hands and knees for me."

Her air hitched in her throat as she pulled back abruptly, in utter shock. She instantly became red as a tomato and lowered her head to glare at the wooden flooring, furious.

How dare he speak like that?

Sure, he looked good, amazing even, but that didn't give him the right to talk this way to people he barely knew. Rude, arrogant, apparently spoiled, skirt chaser.

Marco noticed the shift in her mood and glared at Angelo over the table.

"Alice, everything alright?" He questioned, eyes still on the other man.

"Yes. Everything's fine. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have got to get back to work, start to clean up with the others." She said with an unintentional biting tone. She turned on her heel, and marched away.

"Che cos'hai fatto?" Marco mumbled, still glaring. He was aware of his friend's crudeness to women, but Alice wasn't one to appreciate that kind of approach.
(What did you do?)

"Non ho fatto niente." Angelo replied, annoyed that Marco was being this wary and overprotective over her.
(I did nothing.)

"Per qualche motivo non ti credo." Marco squinted his eyes momentarily, sarcasm coating his words.
(Somehow, I don't believe you.)

"Non me ne frega un cazzo." Indifference the only emotion in his tone.
(I don't give a fuck.)

Marco kept glaring, while Angelo completely ignored him. He had made himself clear when it came to her. Marco should know not to get too involved.

A couple of minutes went by before they started making small talk again, after the tension in the atmosphere had calmed down.

A bit later, Marco excused himself to use the restroom.

Angelo was left alone when he saw Alice walking away from the tables and into the storeroom, the sign outside stating entry was allowed to staff only.

He was never one to listen, though.

He stood and casually strolled to the door. His hand on the door silently pushed it open and he entered quietly.

The refrigerators were making the room noisy enough for him to be able to close in on her without being noticed.

He stopped behind her and leaned in closer.
"Hello again, topolina."
(Little mouse)