Chapter 7 - Jasmines

Alice woke up earlier the next day.

She had to take the afternoon shift, to cover for Kylie who called in sick. Marco had called to let her know.

She messaged Kylie to take extra good care and to get well soon. They didn't see each other often outside work, but still that were friends.

The plan was to visit her mother before going to work, since visiting hours would be up by the time she would get off work at night.

She got ready and went to buy a bouquet of jasmines, her mother's favorite. She then walked to her car and drove to the hospital.

She all but ran up the stairs, bouquet in hand.

Alice knocked on the door and opened it to reveal the bright room, her mother sitting up in bed.

"Hey, mum" she smiled and strode to the side of the bed. She stretched her arms and handed her mother the beautiful flowers.

Her mother smiled happily and took the bouquet in her hands, bringing it to her face and inhaling their scent, just like Alice had done when she bought them.

"Hey, sweetie" Her mother replied and placed the flowers on her lap to hug her daughter.

They spent the hours they had chatting, keeping each other company.

"Mum, I have to go get ready for work, or I'm going to be late." She smiled apologetically and bent over to embrace her mother.

"It's okay, honey, don't worry."

They said their goodbyes for the day and Alice left, heading home again.

She changed into her work clothes, since she would be coming straight home after her shift, and fixed her hair and light makeup.

Then she was off to work.

Parking the car in her usual spot, she got out and strolled to the entrance and got to work.

She served every single table with a sweet smile on her face. The customers were pleased, and it was her motivation to keep going, despite her feet aching in the high heels she had to wear.

A couple of hours into the shift, the door chimed as it opened, Marco walking into the café.

Alice was currently behind the bar, waiting on a food order, when she saw him enter. Her lips parted in a bright smile as he marched to her and wrapped his arms around her small form.

"Hello sunshine" He smiled down at her.

"Hey, stranger" She replied looking up at him.

"How are you? I didn't get to see you yesterday." He said releasing her.

"I'm fine." She smiled nervously and tucked a stand of hair behind her ear. "Why wouldn't I be?" She couldn't explain right now, in the middle of the shift. She would tell him later.

"Are you sure?" He asked again, smirking knowingly.

Uh-oh..

"Okay, so.. There was this accident yesterday.. Well, I sort of caused it. And there was this man that seemed furious because I spilled the drinks on him and then he wanted to talk to Mr-" she blabbered before being interrupted.

"Wow, wow, slow down, girl! I know everything, you don't have to explain yourself to me. I was just messing with you."

"You know? And you're not mad at me? Not even the tiiiniest bit mad?" She pinched her pointer finger and thumb close to each other in front of her face for emphasis.

"Nope. Not even the tiniest bit" he laughed at her and she smiled relieved.

"Phew!" She wiped her arm over her forehead dramatically.

"Yeah, yeah, okay Little Miss Princess" he chuckled.

"Don't call me that!" She said pointing her finger threateningly and furrowing her brows.

"You look about as threatening as a baby quokka."

"Hey! You take that back this instant, mister!" She replied, seemingly ready to pounce on him.

"Okay, okay!" He put his hands up in surrender laughing, as the cook placed two dishes of hot food in front of her.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, boss, I have to get back to work." She placed the plates on her tray and smiled back at him sweetly before taking the orders to the customers.

Marco watched as Alice served and bit his lip nervously. He deeply cared for her, and he couldn't help but worry, knowing Angelo had taken an interest in her.

Angelo was a good guy and an amazing friend. He had stood by his side when there he was in need. But his love life was messy. Everyone in the family knew that. He was with a different chick every weekend and Marco wasn't one to judge.

Only.. Alice wasn't like that. She had only been in two relationships for about a year each and she had been single since 21. She wanted to focus on her mother and didn't give anyone the time of day, no matter how many men had attempted to approach her.

All Marco could hope for, was that Angelo would respect his request to at least try not to hurt her.

His phone rang in his pocket and he took it out to check the caller ID.

Speak of the devil.

He picked it up and pressed the device to his ear.

"Ciao, dove sei?" Marco greeted.
(Hello, where are you?)

"Sto arrivando." The voice from the other end spoke. "Are you there already?"
(I'm on my way.)

"Yes. I arrived about ten minutes ago."

"Okay. I'll be there in a few." He said before he hang up.

Marco was far from sure about this.

He sat at one of the more private tables in the back, and waited, nervously tapping his fingers on the wood.