38) An Ideal Future

📓Midoriya📓

I'm walking down the street with Mirio, we're on patrol at the moment, wearing our hero costumes. It's still very weird to be here right now, still being noticed long after the Sports Festival ended. I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket and pull it out. I smile when I see I received a Line from Todoroki.

Good luck, Midoriya.

That's all it said, but it still made me very happy. I chuckle before sending him a quick thank you response, then put my phone away. "What's funny?" Togata questions. I shake my head and glance up into his curious eyes. "Nothing. I just got a message from one of my friends."

I look forward as we continue moving. I'm trying not to think about what Nighteye said. How Mirio was supposed to be All Might's successor until he met me. I shake my head and find my mind wandering back to Todoroki. Kacchan and Ren seem to be doing alright. I've never seen my childhood friend so happy before.

Not that his face ever shows it, but I can just tell. Whenever Kacchan's around Ren, he just seems so at ease. I wonder if I'll ever be able to experience what they have. All Might never got married, maybe there's a reason behind it. "Hey, we forgot something?" I'm pulled from my thoughts and glance over at him.

"Huh?"

"Our Hero names, we should know each others, right?"

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, totally! I'm Deku."

"Deku?" He repeats, clearly confused. "Like deck? That's weird."

"I like it." He straightens back up and points his thumb back at himself. "Okay, well, I'm Lemillion. For the number of people I'll save. You know, can't save 'em all, but I can, at least shoot for saving a million instead. So, that's what I'm doing." I smile and nod in agreement.

Todoroki told me something similar. Focus on the people you did save, not who you didn't. Mirio faces forward. "When we put on our costumes and start hitting the streets that's when we become heroes." He turns his head back towards me. "So don't let your guard down, Deku."

"Got it, Lemillion," I reply with another nod. We resume walking forward and as we're passing by an alleyway someone runs right into me. I turn and my eyes widen when I see a young girl hit the ground. "Woah, I'm sorry." I crouch down and look her over.

She's covered in bandages and has a small horn sticking out of the right side of her head. "You took a tumble." I reach for her only to pull my hand back when terror flashes in her eyes. "Are you okay? Can I help you up?"

I gently place my hands under her armpits about to lift her when she begins to shake. Why is she trembling? "You should be more careful?" A man's voice comes from the alley, so I turn my head in his direction. My eyes go wide when the man turns out to be Kai Chisaki.

He's Yakuza. "Eri," a younger voice speaks and I notice the young boy at Chisaki's side. He appears to be the same age as the girl and is also wrapped in bandages. "We don't want to cause trouble for the Heroes."

Be careful not to arouse any suspicion, Nighteye's warning replays in my head. "Please forgive my children," he begins. The young brunette next to him looks just as terrified as Eri does. "Especially, Eri, I don't know what to do with her."

His eyes close as if he's smiling under his plague mask. "Always playing rough, bumping into things." Chisaki from Shie Hassaikai, the man Nighteye is after. Suddenly, Mirio pulls my mask over my head to cover my face. "Whoopsie-daisy, looks like that darn mask came off again."

I look up at Togata noticing how calm he is. "You might want to think about getting it re-sized my friend." He turns to face Chisaki and his son. "I'm sorry about that. It was our fault, too." I look back down at Eri, trying to compose myself. Right. I'm an idiot! If I let him see how freaked out I am, he'll get suspicious. And that could screw up Nighteye's entire case.