FOURTY-THREE

DANI didn't plan on going to the tournament. Well, she did, until prom happened.

She hasn't talked to Miguel since then and heard that him and Sam got into a fight with Robby and Tory at the afterparty which was move of an excuse for her not to talk to him.

That was also one of the reasons she didn't want to go to the tournament. Because she'd have to talk to Miguel, but also because she'd have to see Robby and Tory and none of those things sounded appealing to her.

Demetri was at the tournament, of course, and her parents were there cheering him on, so she was alone.

Dani was lying on her couch watching trashy reality TV and popping pieces of popcorn in her mouth.

"Ugh, I'm soooo bored." She groaned.

Sighing she sat up and picked up her phone. No messages. Of course. That was because everyone and their mother was at the tournament. Literally. All of the moms were there supporting their kids or there watching with their kids.

Dani really wanted to talk to Miguel. And tell him about her conversation with Robby. And maybe, just maybe, tell him the truth about her feelings. Maybe he'd tell her the truth about what he was feeling too, unless he already was, but she sees the way he looks at Sam. Like he still loves her.

She was going to text him, but he was probably super focused right now and wasn't able to answer his phone.

When she was just about to put her phone down, Faye called her. She picked it up.

"Hello? Faye? Aren't you guys in the middle of the tournament?" Dani asked.

"Yes, yes, but...but they stopped it. You should come right now. Something happened to Miguel." Faye replied, worry in her voice.

Dani stood up. "What do you mean?"

"Just...Just come. They'll explain everything when you get here." Faye responded.

"Okay, okay. I'm coming now."

"See you soon."

"Bye."

Dani put her phone down. She went upstairs and put some real clothes on then grabbed her things and phone and left for the All Valley.

🖤

When Dani arrived to the arena, Faye led her to the exam room where they had Miguel.

"He's in there."

"Thanks, Faye."

"Yeah."

The two girls hugged and then Dani entered the room while Faye walked away.

"Miguel?"

He looked up at her.

"Hey."

"What happened?" She asked.

"Hurt my back. I'm okay, though. They said if I feel up to it I can fight, but...I don't know if I want to." Miguel answered.

She nodded. "It's up to you. You do what's best for you."

"I will."

They were silent for a moment.

"Miguel—."