Finding Maisie: Chapter 22

Finding Maisie

Chapter 22

Poppy's POV:

It was Heather ringing me so late in the night. I found it odd that she was communicating with me. As she was in hiding with Adam, surely they would want to keep outside contact to a minimum and contact to me and Callum at nothing? What if the abductor was somehow listening now or tortured us to give information about them? I was only expecting Heather or Adam to contact us once the whole treasure hunt was over and we were still alive. So why was she ringing me now? I didn't hesitate to answer, though. Whatever it was must've been important.

I pressed the answer button and held the phone to my ear, 'Heather?'

'Poppy!' Heather exclaimed on the other side, 'Sorry if I woke you.'

'No, you didn't. What's wrong?'

'It's Adam,' Heather explained, 'He wants to talk to you.'

'Talk to me? About what?'

'Well, he wants to help you. He says he won't fight the abductor or let me anywhere near him as he's too dangerous, but he wants to give you all the information you need.'

'Information? Okay, but what information is there?' I asked.

'Well Adam worked with the abductor. He knows how he works, his strategies, the type of place he keeps all his weapons. He also knows his weaknesses. If Adam told you everything he knew, I think you would have a great advantage.'

This sounded interesting. It had never occurred to me to find out as much information about the abductor before as I thought there would be no way. And now Heather was offering this chance to get ahead in the end of the treasure hunt, that was an offer I couldn't refuse.

'Okay, yes. I mean, if that's okay,' I replied.

'Of course it is, anything that Adam and I can do to help.'

'Where is Adam anyway?' I asked.

'Oh, he's gone to the local shop to get food. Don't worry he's always careful. Now, a meeting place. Do you mind meeting at eight tonight?'

I agreed to Heather as it sounded fine. I grabbed the nearest notepad and jotted down the time, address and directions that she gave me. I would tell Callum in the morning, I didn't want to wake him as we needed all the energy we could get.

I said my goodbyes to Heather and settled down for sleep. The conversation put me in better spirits. I felt a lot more confident knowing that Adam was going to help us. And with that I fell asleep.

The next morning passed as a blur. I was anxious and kept having to walk around. Six o'clock was taking too long to come. I had been so busy the last couple of days that it felt weird to spend one sitting around doing nothing, just waiting for nightfall. I had told Callum as soon as I woke up about Heather ringing me and he, like me, seemed positive about it. He agreed that it may be the help we needed to get the edge. I had also patched things up with my mum just like I promised Callum. I didn't want to leave things with tension especially if I wasn't going to survive tonight.

It had just gone seven and Callum and I were ready to leave. We were taking water with us and a little food in the car as we didn't know how long we were going to be out for. Both of us made sure we were in comfortable clothing. That way we would be able to run quickly and they wouldn't hold us back.

We were standing by Callum's car. He was typing in the address into the Sat n Nav while I was talking to my mum. It was cold in the air for two reasons. One, because it had been raining all night although it had stopped now. And two, I didn't know whether this was the last time I would see my mum. She could sense something was wrong, very wrong, and her face was all full of complete terrified panic. She knew there was nothing that she could do to stop me going and so she wasn't going to try. Now was the part that, although wasn't dangerous or life threatening, was very hard. It was time to say goodbye to my mum.