Finding Maisie: Chapter 19 Part 2

Finding Maisie

Chapter 19 Part 2

I peered my head around the building corner to the place where I had been hiding in the grass moments before. There was no-one there. There was no sign of Harry, Joshua or my dad. I took this as my chance to get back inside the warehouse.

I silently moved from behind the warehouse and started making my way to the fire escape door that we had escaped through. I heard no movement from around me, other than my footsteps and the gentle breeze of the warm wind. There was no one else here out with me that I could hear. They must have run inside.

I saw the open fire exit and started walking towards it a little faster. I was anxious about being in a large space without being able to see if there was anyone watching me.

Bang!

A bit of wall hit my face. I looked to where it had come from. There was a hole in the wall from a gunshot.

I looked around at the fields beside me in search of the person who fired it. Of course, I couldn't see anyone.

Bang!

I felt a little more rubble hit me but this time it was from behind me. I couldn't stop to find the perpetrator. I had to run.

I moved my legs faster on the ground as I ran towards the fire exit. There were continuous bangs as the gun man tried to shoot me. I ducked at random times as I didn't know where the shots would land. I couldn't focus on what was happening as the adrenaline and fear inside of me were running wild. I decided to focus on the floor and where I was treading. It was paramount for me to keep running or I might have been hit.

I looked slightly upwards and saw that I was close to the fire exit. With a few more seconds of running, I was in the room and pulled the door shut. Immediately, I threw myself on the ground. I didn't know if the door was strong enough to fight against bullets. There were a few more gunshots but I didn't know where the bullets went or if they came into the room as I had my face in the ground and my hands over my head. When the gunshots stopped, I waited a few moments before getting up. I didn't stay in the centre of the room, though. I pressed my back against the side of the room in case the gunman decided to shoot anymore bullets.

As I leant against the wall something in my lower back was digging into me. Realisation hit me as I remembered that I had put the gun in the back of my trousers earlier. I pulled it out and held it in my hand. I would have to carry it around with me for protection. As I had thought earlier, I would do everything in my power to not use it, but it was still best to keep it ready.

I turned the safety off the way that my dad told me earlier when he gave it to me and I walked out of the office room I was in. After seeing that the corridor I was in was clear, I thought about where Callum might be. If dad was here then he would know. I wondered where he was now. Whether Joshua or Harry had got him, whether he escaped... Or maybe even if he died. I had to stop thinking about him. First I had to find Callum, then we would find out what happened to him.

I decided to go to the top floor first. It would he harder for Callum to escape there so it seemed more logical to keep him there. I remembered the way to the stairs from the last time I was here. I ran through the corridor and out into the large open room with the stairs. It looked the same as the last time. The same high ceiling that was above all the sets of stairs. The same metal stair cases going up three floors. The same cluttered cement floor with cardboard boxes and crates.

I began making my way to the metal stairs when I heard footsteps. They were getting closer to where I was. Immediately I hid behind a large pile of cardboard boxes. In between two boxes was a gap for me to see who was coming.