5|Experience

(6 days later...)

Alice had to hand it to the Ferryman, he was seriously good at his job. Who knew that you could be good at abducting children?! This meant that it took her a while to free herself from the confines of the sack prison. When she did, Alice emerged grumpily. Who could blame her? But her appearance was obviously not what the Ferryman was expecting due to the look on his face, if you could call it that.  While he was still recovering, Alice looked around. And smiled. For she was on her favourite mode of transport in the world. A hot-air balloon.

A loud noise jolted her back to the present, as that annoying Ferryman was advancing on her with another (thankfully empty) sack, which he appeared to be using as a weapon. The Ferryman soon had Alice backed up into a corner with apparently no easily accessible escape route. So she kicked him.

This may seem the obvious next move, but not to her.  Alice had never willingly hurt another person (if you could call the Ferryman a person). While other escapees of the Maw learnt to harden their hearts and not look back, Alice had somehow managed to retain the innocence of childhood that was probably why she was hyperventilating right now. Or, maybe it was because when she kicked him, the Ferryman fell off the hot-air balloon? Either either.

DID I JUST KILL SOMEONE??! No one could survive a fall from this height, even if it was falling into the sea after tumbling from a hot-air balloon....The hot-air balloon!!!