019

(chapter nineteen)

She felt the buzzing of her phone on her pocket as she was laying on the couch of her grandmothers- her new house.

Richard helped the girl take her things to the truck, as he thanked both Rose and Ward their hospitality.

Rose smiled, her hand going to brush Clara's hair. "She's always welcome to stay here whenever, right?"

Ward looked at the expression on his wife's face, and he nodded. "Of course."

Clara smiled back in appreciation, as her own arms were around Wheezie. The younger girl with her head burried on her chest.

"When I get settled better I'll call you so we can continue our Teen Wolf marathon, okay?" The young girl nodded at the older girl's words.

And after that the father and daughter came back to the house, spending the rest of their day cleaning the best as they could. Clara decided to be on Richard's old room, since her grandmother's — Alice Valle, as it was written of her diaries — would be too much of a mess to clean it up.

Clara had taken a like of the book collection on the bookshelf, and now she was with a copy of a very annotated book about the Mystery of El Dorado.

Her father had to leave eventually, to end the day with a phone call from his buyers and to go back to his own house. Giving his daughter another kiss on her head and a wink before leaving.

Her eyes read the contact name, swipping it right as she picked up. "Lars?"

"Hey, Top." She greeted back, and the boy seemed to let out a relieved sigh.

"Are you okay?" His question echooed in her head, as she thought about it.

Was she?

"Can't really say that, but I'm going."

"You scared me, to be honest with you," he started and the girl put the book down on the living room table. "Rafe went ballistic on Grace a little earlier, something about you- I don't know. He said if I wanted to talk to you I had to go to his house, and I did but you weren't there, so I thought-"

"Topper, breathe." She cut him, and the younger boy pushed his hair back as he stared ahead through the windows of his car.

"I needed to talk to you, just to make sure."

The girl softened with that, as she looked around. "I was at the Camerons but my father helped me move to my grandma's house."

"What? You moved?"

She hummed, sitting up on the couch, her legs dangling from the side. "You said you wanted to talk, I can send you my address and you can come here. I'll explain everything."

"Yeah, yeah, that would be good."

And with that she hang up, sending him her location, her brown eyes moving back to the book as she continued reading.

After about twenty minutes she heard a honk outside her door, her phone lighting up on the table as she marked the book and moved to the front door. Topper got out of the car the same time she opened the door, his hands holding two paperbags with drinks.

When he turned around, his smirk faded at the sight of her face, a crease appearing on his forehead in worry. "Oh."

"Yeah," she scratched her hand as she looked around, before signaling for him to enter the house.

When he stepped inside, the boy whistled while his eyes were moving around it. It was so different from what Clara liked, and he could tell, but something about it felt comforting.