014

(chapter fourteen)

JJ MAYBANK didn't want to be driving back to the Chateau, but the nurses kicked them out of the hospital from the commotion they were doing.

They weren't adults or family, so the doctors couldn't give them answers they so desperately needed, but Sarah had called Ward Cameron. While it didn't cease their afflitions, it helps the fact that Ward would be paying for whatever had happened.

Sarah also promised to text them with every update she would get.

And now, after dropping Kiara back to her house, he was driving the Twinkie back to the Cut, Pope biting his nails, but the boy soon stopped, leaning fowards onto the seat. "JJ, there's someone on the road."

The blue eyed boy turned the high lights, and he felt his blood freeze. Parking the van not too far from the spread body he opened the door, Pope not far behind.

But when he saw the blue dress of the girl he had been eying all the time he was at midsummers — now covered in red — he couldn't get himself to move.

Pope ran to the girl's side, moving her body to see if she was breathing, and her hollow eyes met his. The rise of her chest was visible, but indicated that it hurt for her to do that, and Pope cringed at the blood covering her face, leaving her mouth and nose. "God, it's Clara."

JJ licked his lips, opening and closing his palms so he could be pulled back to the reality, and he moved. His hand coming to rest on her cheek, hot by the touch and the redness already turning purple was visible. Her brown eyes started to water when her eyes assimilated who it was in front of her.

"Jay-" it was barely a whisper, but he shushed the girl, pushing with caution the hair sticking with blood from her face.

"What happened to you, Clara?" He asked, seeing her lips tremble, his hands trying to find any more cuts. He looked at Pope, the boy looking like he might throw up. "Help me get her to the car."

"I think it would be better if we call the emergency-"

"No," she managed to say, shaking her head, even then it hurt to do. Her whole body was on fire, aching.

"C'mon, let's get her to the chateau," JJ said it again, wrapping her arm around his shoulders, Pope helping to bring her up as they made their way to the van. "Can you drive?"

"Yeah, yeah, I got it," Pope nodded as he closed the back door, then moving to the driver's seat. JJ sat on the ground, her body against his chest as he tried to keep her from sleeping. The blood where still pouring a little from her nose, and there was a visible cut from her lip and her leg.

Not too long ago he saw her there standing, with jealousy brewing inside of him when Rafe twirled her around on the dance floor, a smile so big in her face. And he wanted to be the one to make her smile like that.

His blood boiled at the reminder, and in his head there was no doubt that it was Rafe that did that.

Her head fell to the side, but he brought his hand up to hold it, looking down at her. "Hey, hey, keep your eyes open, okay?"

With a shagged breath from her lips he continued looking at her. Her eyes red, just like the rest of her body. How long had she been there for? What if someone else had found her?

And it wasn't long until Pope parked the car, rounding the van so he could open the back door. The two boys moved the girl to the couch, and Pope disappeared in one of the rooms to find the aid kit. JJ walked to the kitchen, grabbing two towels and soaking one of them, returning quickly to sit by her side.