033

(chapter thirty three)

The only thing that could take away Rafe's smile from the cross being carried inside the boat, was the two security guys that were manhandling the girl he fell in love with.

Clara was still unconscious. She had drank the whole cup of tea before the conversation with the boy. Her body was completely limp and Rafe was scared. He had seen her that way only one time, and he wish he could never see her like that again, but there they were.

"Hey, can you be a little more careful?!" Rafe snapped at the two guys, who only gave him a dirty look.

"If you're gonna tell us what to do, then you carry her yourself," the dark skinned man said it back, and Rafe clenched his jaw.

The oldest Cameron sibling ignored the glares Rose was giving him, along with the worried ones coming from a very confused Wheezie. He then walked closer to the girl, making himself look taller as he pulled the girl on his arms.

Rafe brushed her hair back, resting his hand on her cheek just to check on her breathing, while his other hand held her up by the waist. When he felt the small up and down of her chest, the dirty blonde boy let out a relieved sigh. His arms now pulling her up in bridal style so they could get inside the boat.

They had two compartments of where they were allowed to rest, and Rafe laid her down in one of the couches, brushing her hair back away her face once more. That didn't feel right. How could it?

Of course they had talked about leaving Outerbanks before, but without his family, just them when the times were a lot more simple.

Rafe didn't know if he could believe her words back at Tannyhill. He desperately wanted to, but he couldn't help but bring himself to remember she had joined the pogues. She was always on Sarah's side, while he needed her on his.

The compartment door opened and his eyes didn't want to believe the sight in front of him. His father, standing tall and mighty in front of him. Not a single scratch on his face as he had a serious, yet sad, expression.

"What-" was the only words Rafe managed to speak. He thought that maybe he was dreaming. How could it be real, it didn't make sense.

"Hey, son." Ward gave him a tight lipped smile as Rafe tilted his head to the side just a little, then shook his head, starting to pace.

"No, no. This isn't real. It's just another dream..." he whispered to himself, his hands going up to his hair as he tugged on it a little. "I'm dreaming. Yeah, yeah..."

"Rafe, you're not dreaming." the man tried to get his attention, but when Rafe ignored him with another shake of his head, Ward grabbed the boy's upper arms, turning him back to him with force. "Snap out of it! I'm here, you're here, and we're finally getting away from all of this cursed town."

Rafe's eyes were filled with tears as he stared at his father. It hurt.

"You made me believe- You made me think that you died!" He was shaking a bit, from the rage he felt, the betrayal.

"It was needed-"

"How could you do this? To me, to Wheezie-"

"It was the only way I could protect you. The both of you, because that's what we do, right? We protect the people we love no matter what the cost." Ward stared deeply into Rafe's eyes, then they fell into the girl behind them. "That's why I faked my death, and then sent a letter to Rose. She did everything like I told her to do."

"You told her to drug Clara?" Rafe stared like he didn't recognize the man in front of him.

"Because I knew neither you or Sarah would agree if she was left behind. I don't think it's too much of a fuzz, since you're together." The man was so serious that Rafe could only think that maybe he was right, Ward did that for him. "You two can keep living with your lives like nothing ever happened. Your own house, start your own family, yeah?"