031

(chapter thirty one)

When JJ said to head back inside, he meant that they were going to crash on one of the couches. He tried to convince Clara she could sleep on the bed of the room he usually stayed, but the girl was too stubborn, sitting on the couch and saying no and that she would be sleeping there.

But JJ also sat down on the couch, not moving until she accepted to sleep on the bed. In the end, the two just had fallen asleep in that exact place, while Kiara was the one to sleep on the bed.

Clara didn't know when exactly she fell asleep, but when she moved her head to the side she saw JJ laying on his stomach, head hid in between the pillows, his jacket drapped over her lap, and she smiled.

He looked so peaceful, maybe because the adrenaline, all the alcohol and weed he had the night before came crashing down when he was finally comfortable. But it was an endearing sight to look at.

His a lot more grown blonde hair covering his face a little bit, as his mouth was just a little open. But when she moved, Clara could tell his body stiffened. Even then he was in hypervigilance.

They weren't so different, after all.

But she was feeling a little hungry. Grabbing JJ's jacket so it didn't fall to the ground, she got up, the boy's eyes opening immediatly as he looked around, as he was making sure everything was okay.

"Morning, surfer." Clara smiled, jacket in between her arms as JJ let his body fall back on the couch as he yawned.

"Morning," he managed to say, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "You always wakes up so early?"

"Not really, I just felt a little neck pain, maybe that's why," she answered and his eyes went back to her in a glare.

"I told you to sleep on my bed-"

"I slept in worse places, trust me. A little neck pain it's not gonna kill me." With that JJ sighed. He couldn't really say much, he had slept in worse places too.

Clara moved to him, dropping the jacket on his almost unprotected body and smiled, going back to the kitchen as she grabbed the cookie package.

"Oh, share?" The boy out stretched his arm and did grabby hands as she moved to sit back down where she once was.

JJ didn't hesitate in turning his body, resting his head on the girl's lap as he took a bite out of the cookie. "Oi, you're gonna choke!"

"I'm not-"

"Please, sit?" Clara interrupted, and JJ gave her a blank stare as he chewed. "Please?"

Raising an unimpressed eyebrow he did what the girl said, his shoulder bumping on hers as he let out a sigh.

"Better?" Clara nodded, taking another bite of the chocolate cookie. "You wanna talk about last night?"

"What about last night? You need to be a little more especific," she stared at his ocean blue eyes. They were so warm.

JJ hummed, his chin moved slightly. "What happened at the bonfire?"

Clara sighed, looking down at her lap. She didn't call Sarah or Topper. She didn't know where her phone was exactly. And the memroy of the blood floded her mind.

"I don't know, I think I just snapped? One time I was being pulled by you and the other there was blood everywhere."

"Yeah, I get that," he sighed too, brossing his arms. "It's like a defense thing. We go on overdrive."