010

(chapter ten)

"Thank you, Gray," Clara thanked her best friend, dropping her backpack on the bed, then sitting down while Grace looked on the wardrobe for two towels.

"No problem, you can always come here when you need to," she smiled, giving the girl the white cream towels, then leaning against the wall. "Should I ask what happened? That bruising arm is not looking very pretty."

Clara's eyes fell to the visible up close hand mark, sighing. At least it was easier to hide than when it was on her neck.

"It's nothing, just same old." She tried to dismiss it, but Grace's green eyes turned to slits as she continued staring at her friend.

"Was it Rafe?"

"What? No!" The older girl's eyes widened, shaking her head at the question, a crease on her forehead. "No, why would you think that?"

Grace made a face shrugging one shoulder. "He does have a temper, and your lips are kinda swollen too. If you told me you were having rough sex I would believe you."

"Oh, woah," she looked at her friend in disblief etched on her face. "You're 15, Gray."

"So? I don't see your point."

"God- No, it wasn't Rafe, and no, we're not fucking."

"Shit, guess I owe Topper $10." The braided haired girl laid beside Clara, who pushed her leg away.

"Can't believe you two are betting on my sex life, I swear-"

"Not your sex life, but your nonexistent one. Your standers are far too high, but Rafe Cameron? Very low, so I'm impressed. Not surprised, but impressed." She continued, propping her head on her hand. "Guess you never got over your little infatuation on him when we were kids."

"First, that's mean, you're mean. And second, I never liked Rafe, and I still don't, okay? He was my friend and he wants to be friends again, so I don't see what's the problem."

"You were quick to forgive him after that, though."

"'Cause he didn't do anything bad. He wanted distance, and that's okay. It hurt? Obviously, so much, but he never talked bad of me or betrayed my trust." Clara played with her fingers, looking up to meet the green eyes staring back at her. "He is actually someone you can trust if he truly cares about you back."

Grace hummed, watching her friend closely. To be honest, the younger girl never really understood the relationship between Rafe and Clara since they were kids. He did acted different towards her back then, and still does now. The way that he understood Clara better than her made her feel a little bitter, but the fact that Clara trust her more than him was enough to soothe any insecurity.

"And you tell me you don't like him," she joked, making Clara groan as the braided haired girl laughed. "But seriously, what happened to your arm?"

"Same old, Grace. My mother thought I told Rafe what she did 'cause he was glaring daggers at her, and when I said I don't know what goes through his head she slapped my mouth," she said, as her friend sit up worridly to look at Clara's lips, while she pulled them to show the inside. Small cuts were visible, and Grace could smell the iron on her breath. "It does hurt still, but it's better than before. I kinda feel my teeth a little lose?"

"Jesus, Clara, you say that so nonchalantly..."

"Promise me you didn't tell anyone," the older girl grabbed Grace's wrist, eyes begging for the truth.

"Of course not, why are you asking?"

"No one can know, not even my dad, nor your mom, please." The plead on Clara's voice was small, showing how scared she really was, so the braided haired girl gave her an encouragement smile, nodding her head, squeezing her shoulder.