023

(chapter twenty three)

Clara felt uncomfortable going to the sheriff Peterkin's funeral, mainly because her boyfriend was the one who killed her, and his father incriminated her friend. But she went anyway to show Shoupe and her father support.

What she didn't expect was to see the whole Cameron family there, under the watchful eyes of Shoupe and Agent Bratcher. And she could tell that Rafe was uncomfortable, as he kept his gaze on the lowering casket, his hands clenching by his sides.

And when it ended, Richard squeezed his daughter's shoulder. "I'm going to give my condolences to Vic, alright?"

The man saw her nod, leaving her by herself, yet her mind was telling her exactly where she needed to go. Passing a few people and giving them tight smiles, she rested her hand on Rafe's forearm, the boy diverging his eyes for the first time from where the casket stood to her.

"They are watching," she whispered, hand going to cup his bruised cheek as he licked his lips. "If you're going to play this part, you'll have to mask your guilty face, my love."

"I'm trying."

Clara sighed and she frowned, seeing from her peripheral vision that the SBI agent was still looking at them. "Hug me, pretend like you're consoling me."

She didn't need to say twice, as he rested his hand under her ribs, pulling her to him, his head finding place on top of hers as he closed his eyes, brushing her back up and down. While she was upset, he was the one who actually needed it.

"You'll be okay. I'm here with you," she whispered to him as his arms seemed to tightened around her.

And after they left Clara was alone at her house, putting the groceries correctly on the right places on the kitchen, but when a package fell on the floor was when her eyes caught something she hadn't noticed before.

There was a small square cut around the fridge, barely noticeable as it was hidden by it being a little foward. Clara bit her lip, forgetting about the food as she pulled the fridge from it's place, towards her until the whole square was free.

On the back of it there was a small handle, and a keyhole under it. Clara only smiled when she remembered she found a key when she was going through her grandmother's jewels, which the girl might've take it to herself a gold bracelet.

Grabbing the key and going back to the kitchen, she did a small cheer to herself when it opened. It was a small basement, but big enough for the shelves all around, filled with books, and two tables.

It was very dusty and the girl could swear she saw a few spiders and roaches, so she was quick to go back up with a squeak, closing the trapdoor and looking for the bug spray.

At least she knew what she was going to do before the first day of classes rolled around again.

++++

Pulling her hair on a half up style, and closing the blouse she heard the honk of the car, so she grabbed her backpack, running out of the door, not forgetting to close it, of course. Topper was brushing his hair out of his forehead as Clara opened the Jeep door, letting herself in.

"I don't believe they are making us go right after what happened," Topper complained as he started the car while the girl put on the seatbelt.

"Life doesn't stop, Top. Even if we want it so much to." She said more to herself then to the boy, who only scoffed.