035

(chapter thirty five)

Richard held onto his daughter's hand as they unpacked on the new house. Clara didn't understand why they left New York, why she would never go back to her room again.

She felt sick on the car ride, as she tried to tune our the arguing of her parents on the front seat, while she listened to one of her father's favorite songs playing on the radio, with Captain Hopps being held tight on her arms.

When they arrived, Susan was the first to leave the car as her voice called out for the men who were carrying the boxes from the truck to inside the house. The woman looked at her daughter and she only said to go with Clara to find something to eat.

But before they could start walking to the busy street, Richard heard someone calling out his name.

"Richard?" It took a while for the older Campbell to recognize who it was, and he smiled when he did. "Long time no see, old friend."

"Ward Cameron," Richard let go of Clara's hand to shake the other man's and the two shared a brief hug, as the girl's big brown eyes filled with curiosity stared at then. "Look at that beard."

Ward touched the beard of his face with a chuckle as he nodded.

"Could never match yours," the two laughed, like time had not passed. "What brought you back?"

"Susan and I decided that life in the city wasn't for us." He decieved the truth, then pointed at his daughter. "And I also wanted Clara to have what we had when we were kids, and to be closer to my mom."

Ward nodded, looking down at the shy girl who was still holding her bunny plushie. "Well, hello, Clara. Nice to finally meet you."

He held his fist up and she looked at her father — who only nodded, encouraging her — so she repeated his actions, fist bumping the older man's. And she smiled, looking a little more excited at her father one more time.

"And where's Susan?" The Cameron man asked, and Richard only pointed back to the way where they came from.

"She's at the house. She's the one who knows where everything go, and we'll be damned if we get in the way," he commented, his tone slightly joking, to hide how serious he actually was. "We were going to find a place to eat."

"We can go to my house to have lunch," Ward suggested, and Richard shook his head.

"Don't want to intrude-"

"Nonsense, Rick. I insist," Ward cut him off, as the older Campbell man started to ponder. "We can catch up, and I can introduce Clara to my kids, too."

Richard pursed his lips. Clara was not really the one who was easy to have friends with. She was a loner, the other kids would always exclude her, or leave her behind, but that would be a great oportunity for her.

Because that's what they wanted. For Clara to have a new life. A new beginning.

"If you're sure," Richard nodded, and Ward smiled even more, patting his friend on the shoulder.

Clara's grip around the plushie tightened and she send her father a scared look. The man could only give her a reassuring smile as he plopped his hand on the top of her head, guiding her to where Ward was leading them.

In his mind, Richard took note of how close their houses would be. He wasn't surprised Ward was able to climb up in his life, and leaving the Cut behind. He did work really hard for it, but he was surprise to the man guide them back to Tannyhill estate.