Part 22

Granolah, Gohan, and Vaods crashed in a heap on the floor of the Time Vault. Gohan groaned in pain as Chronoa rushed to the three of them.

"Where's Raza?" The worried mother screamed accidentally.

The three hung their heads, and a few tears slipped from Vados' eyes. It didn't take long for Chronoa to break down, realizing what their silence meant. The tears poured from the Kaioshin's eyes as she wailed for her son. Gohan clenched his fist, and tears welled in his eyes too. He felt so useless. The only one able to maintain composure was Granolah, though he was angry with his weakness, much like Gohan.

"I'm sorry," Gohan said, shame filling his voice.

Chronoa sniffled. She wiped away her tears and composed herself as best she could.

"How did it happen?" She asked.

Vados composed herself, preparing to recount the events of Raza's last battle.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

It had been three weeks since Chronoa learned about Raza's fate. The vilomah mother stayed awake far longer than was healthy, throwing herself into her work much more than before. She was making reforms to the Time Patroller enlistment requirements. Previously, recruits only had to be strong enough to beat Nappa, though now she changed it so that an aspiring patroller had to be capable of killing Boohan in their Base Form. Hundreds of patrollers lost their jobs, though Chronoa gave them a penchant and allowed them and their families to continue living in Conton City, under the condition that they rejoin the Time Patrol after they meet the strength requirement.

During the three weeks, Gohan resolved to join the Time Patrol in Raza's honor. It only took a short examination period, soon allowing him to become the second Xeno Gohan. He would continually visit his timeline to spend time with Videl and raise Pan. He wanted to move his family to Conton City. But he couldn't convince Videl to leave the timeline. So they compromised. In his short tenure as a time patroller, he became the ninth-highest-ranked patroller, spending every moment training when he wasn't on a mission or with his family. However, Gohan was not the only one to quickly embrace the life of a Time Patroller.

Granolah had taken to the job even better than Gohan. His deal with Raza to restore his lifespan also brought back his potential to evolve and grow in combat, allowing him to grow faster than most Saiyans. Granolah took on over one hundred missions in his first few days as a patroller, completing all of them with a Z-rank. On one of these missions, he met a woman who had been erased in his timeline, a Saiyan woman. He met Kale during his thirty-second mission. She was sent as reinforcements when he got swarmed with obscenely strong Metal Cooler clones. He could remember the two of them huddling back to back as the clones surrounded them. They ripped the clones apart at blistering speeds and with perfect synchronization. Since then, they've exclusively gone on missions with one another, even rising to be the second strongest Patroller Duo, only outdone by Xeno Goku and Xeno Vegeta.

Currently, Vados walked to the Time Nest. She passed dozens of patrollers and clutched the hooded white robe she was wearing, unable to make eye contact with the comrades of her fallen boyfriend. Their stares of sympathy were too much. Every time she met their gaze, a pang of gilt rang through her heart, reminding her of what she had lost. Her heels clicked along the stone path as she stepped into the portal to the Time Nest. Her pace quickened as she tried to ignore Gohan and Granolah, who were sparring nearby. She made it to the Time Vault's door without drawing their attention. She opened the large door and slipped in without a sound.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

"Chronoa," Vados meekly called out, getting the Kai's attention.

The tired woman looked up from a stack of Time Scrolls. Several scrolls were scattered around her desk and onto the floor. The woman's eyes had deep bags under them, showing she had been awake for much longer than healthy.