misconception

"Gulf's POV...

During recess, Mew went to the cafeteria to buy a burger for me. He often treats me to delicious food and cares about me a lot. He always buys me things even though he doesn't have money. I always ask him not to do that because I feel like I'm just troubling him, but still, he says that it's his duty to make me happy.

I was sitting on the bench waiting for him when I saw Lily, our classmate, crying in the corner. Walking over, I sat down beside her and tapped her shoulder. Wiping her eyes, she looked at me, her face almost too red from sadness.

"What happened? Why are you crying?" I was concerned because she's just chubby like me, so people often bully her, and no one talks with her except for a senior named Kevin. That guy is just like Mew—kind and good towards her.

"Actually, a few months ago, Kevin became my boyfriend, and everyone used to bully him because of me, saying that he has a fatty girlfriend. All his friends stopped talking to him and even made fun of him. Getting annoyed with all the things, last week he tried to attempt suicide, but thankfully he's safe now."

"What? Did you meet him?" I asked, alarmed by the news.

"Yeah, I met him and broke up with him. I don't want him to get sad or hurt because of me. I don't deserve him. Emily is right... we ugly people shouldn't associate with these smart guys and girls. They deserve better than us," she cried, and her words stuck in my mind because somehow my story was the same too. What if Mew also loses people because of me and attempts... no, no.

"It's okay, everything will be fine," I consoled her, and coming back to my seat, I looked out the window and saw Mew talking to a beautiful girl. They looked good together, and Mew was also smiling with her.

After school, I was walking out alone, leaving him at school when a group of guys stood up, the same guys whom Mew scolded for bullying me. Although I didn't want to think about it, everything was making me overthink.

"Hey fatty, where's our money?" one of them asked, even though I never took his money. They asked me because one time I accidentally spilled hot tea on his phone and paid for the repair fees, and from then onwards, he thinks that I owe him.

"I-I don't have any," I said, trying to get away from them when one of them held my collar, glaring at me.

"Give me 500 Baht, or we will kill you," he said, and I just shook my head because in no way do I have even a single penny with me.

"Okay then," he raised his fist, and it was about to land on my face when suddenly someone held it, and it was Mew.

"Fuck you!" another guy tried to punch him, but Mew held him too. They were four, and we were two, so Mew ended up getting injured, but in the end, he managed to take me out of there. Reaching home, I was cleaning his mouth when out of the blue, he pinned me down on the couch and grabbed my neck.

"You bloody idiot guy... why the hell did you come out alone? Why are you always stressing me out... you are such a tease," he asked, yelling at me, and my hunch was correct—he thinks of me as a burden.

"I-I..."

"Gulf, you really don't deserve a good guy like me, but still, I'm with you, so kindly be a little bit more mature about it."

"O-ok," I replied, also realizing that whatever he said was true, and I won't think of making him my boyfriend in the future. He thinks that I'm not beautiful and also a weak guy, and that's why he doesn't deserve me. Okay, fine. I will make myself understand that and will only treat him as a friend.

A/N: Here, according to Mew, 'you don't deserve a good guy like me' means a strong guy who's so worried about him all the time... it wasn't about looks...