t w e n t y - e i g h t

THE HONKING OF a boat jolts me awake

Lifting my head, I squint as the sun blinds me. Blinking repeatedly, trying to let my eyes adjust, I groan as I look around. Lied on the boat as it rocks back and forth to the waves as they ripple under us. Daylight has broken.

Looking down, I see Thalia's hair spread over my body as she sleeps on my chest. Both of us changed back into our clothes after multiple rounds last night.

Turning my head, I see one of the fisher boats as it drives further out and I give them a wave as a thank you for waking me up. They honk once more in response and I feel Thalia stir against me.

I see her eyes flicker open as she groans. Moving her hair out of the way, she lifts her head slightly, taking in our surroundings as I place my head back down on the boat.

"You have your own wake-up call?" she asks, sitting up properly as my arm falls from around her.

"You never heard that if you see someone asleep on a boat, you give them a wake-up call if you're passing?" I ask, raising my eyebrow and she shakes her head.

"This town keeps getting weirder." She scoffs, and I chuckle. "Good job we got changed."

"Oh yeah, that would have been quite a view." I smirk, resting my arms behind my head, and she slaps my chest as I laugh.

"Sleeping on a boat is surprisingly comfy," she admits, looking around before she stands up and stretches.

"You slept on my body, not the boat," I remind her and she waves me off. Removing the blanket, I stand up and run my hand through my hair, looking around the ocean. "I could get used to this."

"Oh yeah, you gonna sleep on a boat more often just to see this view?" she asks, and I shrug.

"Maybe, want to join? We could live out at sea together," I suggest, wiggling my eyebrows and she pushes me. "Careful, if I go overboard, who's going to get you back to shore?"

She smirks. "Don't you know? I can drive this boat back myself now after our lesson last night."

"Is that all I'm good for?" I ask, placing my hand on my heart.

She shrugs and winks. "Maybe a few more things."

Bringing her to me by her waist, I cup her cheek and lean down to kiss her. "Like that?"

She hums before leaning up to kiss me once more. "Hmm, exactly like that."

"Let's head back to shore," I tell her and she nods.

"Can I drive?" she asks and I motion to the steering for her to take control.

"All yours, baby."

✺✺✺

Paddling away from the wave, towards the shore on my surfboard, I look behind me, seeing the wave coming up harsh and fast. I force my arms to paddle faster before pushing up on the board. I let the wave drive me, pushing me forward as I skillfully turn my board to ride the wave.