f i f t e e n

I AM AVOIDING Atlas

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I AM AVOIDING Atlas.

Having him witness what I've been trying my best to hide from people when it comes to the ocean is daunting. He saw me at my most vulnerable. Someone who I have known for three months. I learned more about him that day also, but the fact we can open up and be our most vulnerable with each other is scary. Something I have never experienced before.

Closing my eyes and breathing in the fresh air, I smile as I hear peace. Birds are chirping around us, but other than that, it's quiet. Opening my eyes once more, I let my gaze focus on the sign that is spread out across the picnic bench in Gabi's backyard with paint palettes and brushes surrounding it.

Pulling on the sleeves of the sweater, I pick up the paintbrush again, dipping it in the paint before continuing to paint the sign for the surf competition. I turn my head at the noise of the sliding door opening, seeing Gabi walk out with two iced teas and hands me one.

"How is the sign coming along?" Gabi asks as she looks at the progress I've made while she was on the phone and making our iced teas.

"Getting there slowly, although this wind is making it very hard," I say, and she chuckles as the wind continues to blow the sign and I reach over to place a paint can on the edge. "Do you always make the signs for the surfing competition? Since they hold the competition every year, you think you'd have a sign already," I ask Gabi as she sits back next to me and picks up her brush.

Gabi shakes her head, moving her hair out of the way to avoid getting paint in it. "I made the original sign, and we usually reuse that every year, but last year some idiot ran into when we were putting it away and they got twisted up in it where they had to be cut out."

I stop painting. "It wasn't Atlas, was it?"

Gabi laughs, shaking her head. "No. I wish that would have been hilarious. High school kids dared one of their friends to run into it, but what they didn't know was that when we weren't looking, the kids put glue over the sign."

"I think that is the most crime Sandy Cove could have," I say, and she laughs, agreeing with me. "I'll be pissed if someone pulls that this year after we spent ages on this."

"They'll have to face the wrath of Thalia this year," she says, and I wink.

"I can't believe how much work this town does every year for the competition. It's weird to be on this side of it rather than the surfer side who just turns up," I hum before taking a sip of my iced tea.

"And this time you just have to turn up and judge," Gabi says, and I chuckle, nodding my head. "Have you ever judged before?"

I nod. "Often we were a part of charity competitions for like kids and sometimes they got us to judge."

"Well, don't go easy on this bunch. Especially Atlas and the guys," Gabi tells me as she points the paintbrush in my direction, and I can't help but laugh as some of it flings off onto my face. "Oh, my god I'm so sorry."